Austin Peay State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, education specialist, and doctoral degrees. Degree-granting institutions also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of Austin Peay State University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
Institutional accreditation provides support of essential University functions, including:
- Access to federal financial aid, grants and other federal support
- Ability for students to transfer credit hours to other institutions of higher education, if the credits are appropriate to the designated curriculum and meet the receiving institution’s requirements
- Recognition of the earned bachelor’s degree when applying to graduate schools
- Can assist students in meeting one of the eligibility requirements, of a relevant bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, in order for the student to sit for professional licensure exams
- Demonstration of institutional effectiveness
Reaffirmation Information and Timeline
At Austin Peay State University, we continuously evaluate our processes to ensure compliance with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Accreditation from SACSCOC was first granted to APSU in 1947 and SACSCOC reaffirmed APSU’s accreditation in 2014. APSU submitted its Fifth Year Interim Report to SACSCOC in February 2020. We are currently preparing for the 2024 Reaffirmation. Below are links to resources with more information.
Resources from the SACSCOC website:
- SACSCOC Institutions Webpage
- SACSCOC Reaffirmation Process Webpage
- SACSCOC Accrediting Standards Webpage