General Admissions Requirements
Submit an application to the College of Graduate Studies, along with the non-refundable application fee. Effective July 1, 2016 the graduate application fees are: $45/domestic or $55/international. Online graduate admission applications will allow the application fee to be paid electronically. Although we encourage use of the online application, a paper application with fee enclosed may be mailed to Graduate Admissions at APSU or paid in the Bursar Office at the Cashier's window.
Request official transcripts reflecting coursework completed from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Official transcripts must be sent directly to Graduate Admissions from the institution and must show conferment of a bachelor’s degree and a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5. The transcript request form, found on the Graduate Admissions Forms page, may be utilized to request transcripts from each institution. Transcripts that are hand-delivered to Graduate Admissions will be considered unofficial.
Complete the entrance exam required by the Graduate Program, if applicable. Request that the testing agency send test scores directly to Graduate Admissions at Austin Peay State University. The APSU code for GRE is 1028.
Review the departmental requirements for your Graduate Program. Submit all necessary documents to Graduate Admissions.
Verification of Lawful Presence
The Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act requires state public institutions of higher education to verify lawful presence in the United States. To fulfill this requirement, please submit a valid driver’s license or another acceptable document.
If you are active duty military, a veteran or military dependent, additional documentation is required. Review the admission document requirements for military students below.
Active duty military personnel or veterans are required to submit the following documents:
- AIR FORCE - Transcript from Community College of the Air Force
- ARMY - Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as AARTS transcript - Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System )
- NATIONAL GUARD - Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as AARTS transcript - Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System ) OR Enlistment Contract 4-2
- MARINE CORPS - Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as SMART transcript)
- RESERVES - Copy of Enlistment Contract 4-1 or 4-2 or DD Form 2586, Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET)
- NAVY - Joint Services Transcripts (JST) (also referred to as SMART transcript)
Army, Navy, Coast Guard and Marine Reserve personnel can also get a Joint Services Transcripts (JST)
- VETERANS (retired or discharged) -
- DD Form 214 (Member Copy 4) Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty of
Service. Must have Characterization of Service on Form.
DD Form 214 - Retired or Discharged Military. When a person attended APSU as an active duty soldier and then returns to APSU as a Veteran, he or she must submit a copy of DD Form 214 (Member Copy 4), even if an AARTS or DD 295 is on file. This may be submitted at the APSU Center at Ft. Campbell or the main campus.
- If you do not have this form: It may be obtained from Tennessee Dept. of War Records or the State Veterans Office of your home of record.
- To obtain copies of documents such as military course completion certificates, Academic
Evaluation Reports (DA Form 1059), and Certificates of Separation from Service (DD
Form 214), Veterans should contact the National Personnel Record Center at 314-801-0800,
or online at www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/, or submit written requests to:
- General Services Administration
National Personnel Records Center
ATTN: Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132
- General Services Administration
- DD Form 214 (Member Copy 4) Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty of Service. Must have Characterization of Service on Form.
Military dependents must provide the following documents:
- Military I.D.
- Military Order