Go back

Frequently asked advising questions

1. Why can't I register?  

At the end of your advising session, your advisor will check a box (on your advising page) for the semester for which you are registering.  After that, you will be able to access online registration system.

2. Do I have to take piano so soon?

Yes. You will find that beginning piano early in your career only sets you up for success for the rest of the music degree.  However, if the theory assessment exam indicates that you need a theory fundamentals class, we will require you to delay your start of class piano, MUS 1160, until you are in Theory I (MUS 1180).  However, you may always choose to take private lessons option, if you want to get an early start.

3. Do any music offerings count for core?

Yes – Intro to Music Literature (MUS 1970, for Liberal Studies majors) and World Music (MUS 2030, for Music Education majors) will satisfy one of your humanities and/or fine arts core requirements. The term before graduation, the Chair will process a core substitution authorization.

4. How soon after junior level hearing may I give my senior recital?

Three semesters of upper division individual instruction are required before a student can give a senior recital.

5. Who is my advisor?

Your advisor is listed in the top, right-hand corner of your One Stop Advising Page. To request a different advisor, contact the music department administrative assistant.

6. What are the requirements for music minor?