Current High School Students
You have two options to reach your goal of paying for college and commissioning as an officer into the Army: applying for the national Army ROTC scholarship, or enlisting in the Army Reserves or National Guard and participating in the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP). You still reach the same goal with either option, just in different ways with their own unique opportunities.
A great way to learn more about our top-notch program is to participate in our Cadet for a Day program. This program is popular and slots are limited, although we will try to accommodate everyone. We are looking for highly qualified scholar-athlete-leaders to participate in Cadet for a Day. For more information, click on the Cadet for a Day menu option.
"Simultaneous" means students who are at the same time:
- full-time college students (SMP officially starts your sophomore year), currently serving (or willing to enlist) in the USAR or ARNG
- enrolled in Army ROTC
In the SMP you participate in unit training with your USAR or ARNG unit one weekend a month, while earning your commission through ROTC. SMP Cadets are non-deployable. Upon commissioning you have the option of either serving full-time on Active Duty, or part-time in the Army Reserves or Army National Guard.
Next step: Contact us so we can discuss how you'll integrate ROTC into your degree program.
College ROTC Teaches You to Lead
Army ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps) is one of the best leadership courses in the country and can be part of your college curriculum. During classes, leadership labs, physical training and field training exercises, you will learn firsthand what it takes to lead others, motivate groups, and conduct missions as an officer in the Army. Upon graduation from Army ROTC, you will commission as a Second Lieutenant into the Active Army, Army Reserve or Army National Guard and become a leader for life.
Scholarships are highly competitive. Minimum eligibility requirements include:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be between the ages of 17 and 26
- Have a high school GPA of at least 2.50
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Meet physical standards
- Agree to accept a commission and serve in the Army
Army officers reflect the best of America and the most competitive applicants exhibit traits of scholar, athlete, and leader.
- Scholar: National Honor Society, Honors and Advance Placement courses, GPA over 3.0, Top 10% of Class
- Athlete: Varsity Letters from school team, member of regional, city, or competitive league, organized competitive team sports, individual athletic competitions
- Leader: Elective member of student government or class, Captain of athletic team, position of responsibility in a school, club, or volunteer organization; JROTC senior leadership position such as Battalion Commander, Executive Officer, or Command Sergeant Major
- An eight-year service commitment with the Army upon graduation from college
- Serve full time in the Army for four years and four years with the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)
- Cadets may choose to serve the eight years in the Army Reserve or Army National Guard while pursuing a civilian career
Scholarship Application On Line
To apply, you first will need to create a MY GOARMY account. Once you create an account, you will be sent to the Log In page. Use your newly created account information and select the option "ROTC 4-Year Scholarship Application" button. This will direct you straight to the online scholarship application. Initial Application Deadline is 10 January of your Senior Year. Applications can be submitted as early as February of your Junior Year.
Army ROTC Scholarship
Scholarships are awarded based on a student's merit and grades, not financial need. Army ROTC scholarships consist of:
- Three or four year scholarship (the three year scholarship begins your sophomore year of college)
- Full-tuition scholarships
- The option for room and board in place of tuition, if you should qualify
- Additional allowances for books and fees
Army ROTC scholarships also provide a monthly living allowance of $420 during each school year.
For more details on the National High School Scholarship or to create your my GOARMY account, visit the www.goarmy.com/rotc