Why Should You Major in Mathematics?
Mathematics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, and Actuarial Science are consistently ranked among the majors with highest earning potential (see Payscale Salary Report), with many careers opportunities available after graduation.
Interested in law school? Major in math! Mathematics majors score higher (on average) on the LSAT than history majors, political science majors, English majors or economics majors.
Interested in a graduate business degree? Major in math! Mathematics majors, on average, do very well on the GMAT.
Interested in grad school in engineering or physics? How about medical school? A mathematics major is great preparation!
Of course you can always major in mathematics to become a math teacher or professor, but there are also careers in quality control, operations research, statistics, and actuarial science, to name a few that want employees with strong math backgrounds. These careers routinely land at or near the top of surveys of job desirability based on environment, income, employment outlook, physical demands and stress level. (See CareerCast's rankings, for example.)
Check out the MAA Online Career Profiles webpage for lots of examples of careers in mathematics and related fields.
Why Mathematics at APSU?
- Small class size and individual attention from faculty.
- Five different major options (mathematics, statistics, mathematic education, actuarial science, or data science).
- Excellent close-knit college.
- Opportunities in undergraduate research with internationally recognized scholars.
- Active student organizations --the Galois Math Club and the Tennessee Epsilon Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, national mathematics honor society.
- Honors courses in mathematics.
- Opportunities to attend regional and national conferences.
- Opportunities to take the Putnam Exam and to enter the Mathematical Contest in Modeling.
- Good record of placing graduates in highly ranked Master's and PhD programs.
- Many scholarship possibilities of our majors.
Here are some quotes from our students:
- "Before transferring to APSU I had so much doubt in my ability to pursue a degree in Math. But everyone in this department has helped me build my confidence and made me feel like I'm on the right path! I know my academic success would not be possible without this encouraging community of professors and peers." - Sara Grey, Senior
- "I am so thankful for my professors in this department pushing me to be the best I can be. They truly care about their students and want them to succeed. Everyday I come to school, I know I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be." - Kara Underwood, Senior
- "The experience I’ve had with the faculty members of Austin Peay’s math department has been phenomenal. Everyone I’ve encountered has been helpful and encouraging throughout my journey. They are part of the reason for my success and I’m proud to be part of such an amazing institution." - Isamar Rachal, Alumni (2020)
- "I've been pushed out of my comfort zone and accomplished things I didn't previously think I could do through the constant support and encouragement from my professors and fellow students while here at APSU. I am confident that the knowledge and skills that I've acquired is preparing me for the next step of going to graduate school." - Angeline Rinehart, Alumni (2019)
- "I can honestly say that studying mathematics has been such a wonderful and fulfilling experience so far. My professors and my peers in the Math department have made a huge impact on my success during my time at APSU." - Malori Cloys, Alumni (2019)
- "Austin Peay's math department has deepened my understanding of, and passion for, mathematics. I could not be where I am today without the support of my math professors." - Tyler Hagemann, Alumni (2019)
- "The research experience I have gained at APSU could not be matched by any other university. Austin Peay provided me multiple opportunities to do interesting research, to present my work at conferences, and to work with very knowledgeable professors to publish papers." - Kindyl King, Alumni (2018)
- "I have been able to accomplish things during my undergraduate time that wouldn't have been possible without the overwhelming support of the math department, between the funding to study abroad and present research at conferences, writing countless letters of recommendation, and simply being a source of constant encouragement." - Emily Stark, Alumni (2017)