What is I-O Psychology?
The field of Industrial-Organizational (I-O) Psychology is centered around understanding work from a psychological perspective. It will allow you to apply knowledge about psychology to organizations.
As an I-O psychologist, you can contribute to the success of organizations by improving employee performance and wellbeing. According to the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP), I-O psychologists assist organizations by:
- Recruiting people that best fit the organization
- Hiring better people
- Retaining the best people
- Developing fair, legal and efficient hiring practices
- Improving the skills of the people within the organization
- Creating a diverse, qualified workforce
- Developing performance management systems
- Minimizing absenteeism
- Eliminating harassment and discrimination
- Fostering a team environment
- Increasing motivation and dedication
For more information about the study and practice of I-O Psychology, check out these links: