Reclassifications are submitted through the appropriate management chain with the
advice and consultative guidance of the Office of Human Resources. Salary changes
that result from a reclassification will go into effect at the beginning of the next
pay period following approval. Reclassifications of non-faculty positions can occur
if justified by the scope of work being performed and if permanent funding is identified
for any associated compensation increase. The steps required for reclassification
of a non-faculty position are:
1. All proposals for reclassification on non-faculty positions will be forwarded by
the manager of the position for review and approval through the appropriate management
chain up to the Senior Administrator. The Office of Human Resources will provide information
and consultative guidance as needed to assist the manager and affected employee in
completing the new position description and identifying the appropriate comparator
and median salary. The position description will be attached to a written proposal
providing as much detail as possible regarding the significant changes, the reasons
for the change, and how the change supports the University’s Strategic Plan.
2. The proposal must identify the availability of baseline/ongoing funds for the recommended
salary. When funding has been identified, the account number or funding strategy will
be documented on the request.
3. In consultation with the Office of Human Resources, each member of the management
chain will review the completed position description and may discuss it with the employee
and his/her supervisor. Upon approval by the Senior Administrator the proposal, will
be resubmitted to the Office of Human Resources for implementation.
4. Final funding for reclassification will be coordinated with the Budget Office.
5. Notice of final action will be sent to the immediate supervisor and Senior Administrator.
It is the immediate supervisor’s responsibility to notify the employee of changes
to their position title and/or salary.
More information can be found in APSU Policy 5:036 Staff Promotions, Reclassifications, Transfers and Demotions .