Go back

Residence Hall Policies and Procedures

Upon signing their license agreement, each student agrees to abide by all policies and procedures set by the university. These policies apply specifically to residential students and their guests.


Residence Life and staff may enter a student’s room/apartment for the purpose of maintaining conditions of health, safety, inventory control and enforcement of University residence hall regulations.  Staff may search a room and seize evidence when strong probable cause exists leading Residence Life staff to believe University policies and/or state laws are being violated. Residents need not be present or give permission for the search, and staff are not required to disclose the scope of their search.

The use or possession of any alcoholic beverage (including powdered alcohol) and/or public intoxication on University-owned or controlled property, or the violation of any local ordinance or state or federal law concerning alcoholic beverages, on or off campus, or violation of the terms of Austin Peay State University’s Drug-Free Policy Statement is prohibited. Empty alcoholic beverage containers, either on one's person or in room/apartment, will constitute a violation. Neither alcoholic beverage containers nor bottle caps are permitted as room decorations.

With the exception of fish aquariums, approved service animals or emotional support animals, animals are not permitted in University housing. Fish aquariums may be used only for fish and must not exceed 20 gallons.

Television and stereo antennas cannot be installed outside of your room or apartment. This includes satellite dishes.

Prohibited appliances include, but are not limited to, the following: window air conditioners, camping stoves, candles (lit or unlit) and candle warmers, ceiling fans, sun lamps, electric blankets, grills (gas and charcoal) halogen lamps, toasters, toaster ovens, wireless routers, lava lamps, dehumidifiers, space heaters (non ceramic) and gas appliances/tools.

Bicycles may be stored in student rooms/apartments provided they do not restrict free entry or exit. It is best to store bikes on racks conveniently located near the hall/apartment. Bicycles may not be stored in stairwells, hallways or other common areas and are not to be chained to exterior handrails, light poles, trees, etc. Bikes not claimed by May commencement are donated to the local Salvation Army.

All bomb threats will be considered real. Suspicious packages, boxes or other containers containing possible explosive devices should not be tampered with or held by students. In such cases, the area should be kept clear and Campus Police immediately contacted. Residents should evacuate the building immediately and return only when told to do so by official University personnel. The fire alarm should not be pulled in case of a bomb threat.

Candles and candle warmers are not allowed in the residence halls/apartments. This includes used and new. Candles are not to be used as decorative items.

Students are provided with free network/internet access in the rooms and apartments across campus. The network port will be either red or orange. You must use a network cable to connect your computer to the port. Wireless routers are not permitted  

Residents are not allowed to perform any type of car maintenance in residence hall/apartment parking areas.

Children under the age of 16 are not allowed to stay overnight or live in residence hall/apartments. Furthermore, because of the concern for liability and Department of Human Services guidelines for proper supervision, resident students are not permitted to use their assigned room/apartment as a babysitting location

Any resident who intentionally commits, attempts to commit, incites or aids others in committing any act of misconduct will be subject to disciplinary action. Failure to report for a disciplinary hearing may result in additional disciplinary charges. Please refer to your student handbook for additional information regarding your rights, due process and more detailed information concerning the disciplinary process.

In University residence halls, cohabitation is not permitted. Cohabitation is defined as physically residing in another resident's room/apartment on a semi-permanent basis usually associated with a sexual or personal relationship. Cohabitation and excessive visitation violate the rights of room/apartment mates for reasonable privacy and the pursuit of academic goals. All residents are assigned a specific hall and room. They are expected to reside permanently in their assigned rooms and keep their personal belongings there. Residents may move their personal belongings into another room only as part of an approved room and/or hall transfer.

The use of a microwave oven is permitted, provided the units do not exceed 1,000 watts and they are used in conjunction with a power strip with circuit breaker. Other types of cooking in residence hall rooms, with the exception of Hand Village, Two Rivers and Meacham Apartments, are not permitted because of clogged plumbing resulting from food and grease being forced down bathroom sinks and possible pest control problems. Cooking is allowed in specially designated areas in each hall equipped with a stove, oven and microwave. Please assist your fellow residents by cleaning the kitchen area after use and properly disposing of your trash.

Common space is defined as space located in a room/apartment that is shared by all the assigned residents of that room/apartment. Items found in and damages to common space is the responsibility of all residents assigned to the room/apartment.

Trained and caring staff members provide assistance to students experiencing temporary emotional crisis or psychological need. Long-term assistance cannot be expected in the residence hall setting and must be obtained through local resources or community agencies. In order to provide students with timely and quality assistance, residence hall staff are required to follow standard procedures whenever a student alludes to or engages in self-destructive or disruptive behaviors. These behaviors include but are not limited to remarks about suicide, threats of suicide, suicidal gestures or attempts, etc. Hall staff will report all situations in which potential suicide may be a factor so that arrangements for psychiatric consultation can be made. Similar behaviors which disrupt the residence hall community may result in disciplinary action and referral to counseling resources.

Custodians are employed to clean hallways, public lounge areas, community kitchens, vending and laundry facilities. The cleaning and the supply of cleaning materials for room and apartment living areas and the proper disposal of garbage are the responsibilities of individual residents.

Each resident is responsible for his/her assigned room or apartment and its contents. The Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services makes no provision in the budget for the replacement or repair of equipment due to student negligence or malicious behavior. In the event damage or a need for cleaning occurs in your room or apartment, and it cannot be attributed to one responsible individual, it will be necessary to divide the charge(s) equally among all room or apartment residents. If damage occurs in public areas and the responsible individual (s) cannot be identified, the repair cost may be prorated evenly among residents living in the specific residence.

All appeals regarding housing contracts, housing billing, private room, damage or housing appeals must be made via email (housing@apsu.edu) to the Office of Housing/ Residence Life and Dining Services. Appeals must be filed within 10 business days from the date mailed by the Office of Housing/ Residence Life and Dining Services.

Charge appeal form is available online at www.apsu.edu/housing.

All residents of halls and apartments, with the exception of Two Rivers Apartments and Emerald Hill, must participate in a meal plan. See the Housing website for a link to dining and meal plan information. All details about meal plans are available in your meal plan agreement. You can find the meal plan agreement on the Housing website or in the Housing Office.

Most room rates are based on double occupancy. A roommate may be assigned at any time during the semester. For students paying the double occupancy rate, it is that student’s responsibility to keep the other side of the room prepared for possible occupancy. This means clothing or personal belongings may not be placed upon or stored in space provided for a second roommate. Failure to comply will result in both a private room charge and a disciplinary action.

Housing, Residence Life and Dining Services has a zero tolerance policy on drugs and/or drug paraphernalia. Students found responsible for the possession of either will be suspended from university housing.

Students requiring emergency assistance should contact Campus Police at 911. Emergencies requiring immediate assistance may include the following: fire, theft, assault/attempted assault, health-related emergencies, etc.

Residence Life staff members are not permitted to transport students requiring medical assistance. Notify Campus Police at 911 if assistance is required.

Students residing in University housing must be enrolled for the semester in which they live in the residence halls/ apartments.

All residents must participate in fire drills.  Failure to participate will result in disciplinary action. To prepare for an actual fire emergency, the residence hall staff plans and conducts fire drills each semester to acquaint residents with teh proper evacuation procedures.

Each suite and apartment contains beds, desks, chairs, window coverings, waste can, shower curtain and storage for personal belongings. Individuals are responsible for providing pillows, linen and study lamps. You may not remove University furnishings or equipment from the room/apartment, unless it has been approved by the Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services Office for special needs (i.e., disabled mobility). University furnishings may not be stored on balconies or placed in walkways outside your room or apartment. Furnishings from common areas (kitchen, lobbies, study rooms) may not be used in individual resident rooms. You are responsible for inspecting the condition of your room/apartment when moving in and out. You will be held responsible for any damage to University furnishings and equipment.

Fire extinguishers are provided on each floor of the residence halls, in Meacham and Hand Village Apartments and in residence hall kitchen areas. Fire extinguishers are for the use of fire safety. Tampering with fire safety equipment will result in the cost of recharging the fire extinguisher, suspension from University housing and other disciplinary action.


  • If there is smoke in your room, keep low to the floor.
  • Before passing through any door, feel the door. If it is hot, do not open it.
  • Before opening a door, brace yourself against the door and open it slightly. If heat or smoke is present, close the door and stay in the room.
  • If you can proceed, evacuate the building promptly and safely.
  • If you are trapped and cannot leave the room, open the window and hang an object out from the window to attract the firefighter’s attention.
  • Do not attempt to jump from the window. If there is a phone in your room, call 911 and report you are trapped; give the room number and specific location.
  • If you can leave a room, close all doors behind you as you exit.
  • Go to the nearest exit or stairwell.
  • If the nearest exit is blocked by fire, heat or smoke, go to an alternate exit.
  • If all exits from a floor are blocked, go back to your room, open the windows, wave something out the window and shout for help.
  • After evacuating a building, move away from it and stand clear as emergency apparatus will be maneuvering around the building. Follow the directions of fire, police and hall personnel.

Transport, possession, manufacture, use, sale or distribution of fireworks, ammunition, explosives, flammable liquids and all other hazardous materials is not permitted on University property.

All full-time single freshman students younger than 21 not residing with their parents or legal guardians are required to live in University housing while classified as a freshman. All freshmen younger than 21 who decide not to stay on campus will need to complete a Freshman Residency Exemption Form and return it to Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services before the first day of classes. Exceptions to this policy include the following: Living with a parent or legal guardian within 50-mile radius commuting distance of Austin Peay State University.

The Govs Tech provides the first point of contact to the University for computing, networking, hardware/software, PC and printer problems. The Govs Tech staff assists University students, faculty and staff with computing and networking problems; works with other technical groups and the Office of Information Technology to resolve more complex problems; develops documentation; issues computer accounts; and prepares and distributes informational and promotional materials. Call 931- 221-4357 or email govstech@apsu.edu.

Students who have a grievance against a Residence Life staff member should first, if appropriate, discuss the matter with the staff member. If the differences cannot be resolved, the student may file a written appeal to the Associate Director of Housing, Residence Life and Dining Services, followed by the Director of Housing, Residence Life, and Dining services, the Vice President for Student Affairs and then the President of the University.

Hall meetings are organized by your RA/RHD at the beginning of each semester and periodically during the semester. Attendance is mandatory, and you will be held responsible for all information that is discussed during the meeting. Hall meetings provide excellent opportunities for you to share concerns and ideas with the RA/RHD and community members about residence life.

Hazing is not permitted in or around residence halls or apartments. A complete description of hazing is included as part of the student code of conduct in the student handbook.

Residents of each room will be held responsible for their room/apartment. This includes cleanliness, general housekeeping practices and general appearances. Periodic inspections are conducted by Residence Life staff to ensure compliance in living areas with health and safety standards. Failure to maintain a clean environment may result in a cleaning charge. To limit the likelihood of insects becoming a problem, you should not store perishable items in open containers. It is your responsibility to keep your room/apartment and adjoining bathroom clean and to dispose properly of trash in outside dumpsters. A second failure due to an unclean bathroom/shower will result in a $50 cleaning fee and disciplinary action. Each resident is furnished with a trash can which should remain in his or her room/apartment. Illegal substances and items found to represent a Health and Safety violation, which also constitute a violation of University policies, will be removed immediately by housing staff. A confiscation report will be issued listing all items removed. Some confiscated items may be claimed after a complete and proper check-out of the residence hall/apartment. Items not claimed within 30 days after vacating will be disposed of or donated. Items that will be confiscated by staff and are not returnable to residents include, but are not limited to, the following: Alcoholic beverage containers and caps; Incense, potpourri burners and related paraphernalia; Other miscellaneous illegal items. Items that will be turned over to Campus Police include the following: Drugs or other illegal substance or paraphernalia; Fireworks and weapons; Traffic/safety regulation signs and beer kegs and taps.

Holiday decorations are limited to the interior of student rooms and apartments and in specified areas. UL-approved holiday lights may be hung in windows in compliance with Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services and Campus Police guidelines. Live trees and candles are not permitted in University housing due to risk of fire. Holiday decorations must be removed prior to students leaving for the winter vacation.

Effective Fall 2013, all freshman housing students must provide proof of meningitis vaccination. Please contact Health Services at 931-221-7107 for details on immunization records. This must be complete prior to move-in.

Because the odor may be offensive to some people and because it constitutes a fire hazard, the burning of incense and all incense paraphernalia is not allowed in the residence halls.

Students are encouraged to cooperate with the residence hall staff during a tornado watch or warning. A watch is the first alerting message from the U.S. Weather Service which specifies an area and a period of time during which tornado probabilities are expected to be dangerously high. A warning is issued when a tornado actually has been sighted in the area or detected by radar. Students should wait for an “all clear” signal from your residence hall director (RHD), resident assistant (RA) or Campus Police before returning to your room. Please go to http://apsu.edu/housing/current residents for more information regarding the inclement weather procedure and safe zones in the event of a weather emergency.

The protection of personal property is the individual’s responsibility. Students are encouraged to obtain personal renters insurance, possibly through their parent’s homeowners insurance policies.

Each University-operated Housing facility has a laundry room with free washing machines and dryers for Housing students only.

Communities created to help residents better bridge the gap between academics and campus living. The staff who are part of these communities are dedicated to facilitating events that meet the interests and academic demands of the residents.

If a student is locked out of their room/apartment, the student can check out a loaner key. During the weekday-From 8 a.m.-7 p.m., Monday-Friday, during the academic year; 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, during the summer in the Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services. You will have 30 minutes to return the key. Failure to return the key will result in a re-core charge. In the evening-Contact the RA on duty in your hall lobby from 7-9 p.m. and after 9 p.m. by contacting the RA by call the duty cell number (listed in hall’s lobby).

The construction of lofts is not permitted. This includes individual bed-risers to raise the bed. All beds must be set directly on the floor. Beds can be “bunked.”

The cost of replacing a lost key, re-keying the lock core and issuing additional replacement keys for your roommate(s) is nonrefundable. The required amount is billable through Housing/ Residence Life and Dining Services and payable at the Cashier window located in the Ellington Building. Report your lost key immediately to the Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Service; failure to do so jeopardizes your security and the security of others. APSU ID cards to access your building are replaceable through University Facilities for a charge. University Facilities is in Room 207 of the Morgan University Center.

Furniture in lounges and common areas is for the enjoyment of all residents and their guests. Lounge furniture may not be removed or rearranged without prior permission from the residence hall director of that building.

Problems in your room/apartment or problems that you observe in public areas should be reported directly to Physical Plant from 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. To submit work orders online, please go to www.apsu.edu/physical-plant and follow the instructions listed, or call 221-7424. In the event of an emergency, contact Campus Police at the non-emergency number 931-221-7786. Maintenance requests are prioritized and scheduled by the Physical Plant office. Most repairs are completed within three working days. While every attempt is made to respect your privacy, by reporting a maintenance need in your room or apartment, you are authorizing access by the Physical Plant staff during the hours of 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please plan accordingly. If you have questions about the status of your repair request, contact the Physical Plant.

You may have a microwave as long as it does not exceed 1,000 watts. In addition to wattage requirements, you must use a power strip with a circuit breaker. Power strips are not required when a microwave unit is being used in the kitchen area of the apartments. If your microwave unit exceeds the 1,000 watts or you are not using an approved power strip with circuit breaker, you will be given 24 hours to correct the situation. Failure to correct the situation within 24 hours will cause your microwave to be confiscated by residence hall staff.

The use of multi-plugs is not allowed in the residence halls/apartments.

The storage of mopeds and motorcycles in close proximity to the residence hall/apartment is not allowed. Motorcycles should be parked in the parking lots. Mopeds may be parked adjacent to the bike racks located at each hall/ apartment.

In consideration of your neighbors, playing musical instruments in the residence hall is not permitted. Practice rooms are located in the Music/Mass Communication Building.

Quiet and courtesy hours provide standards of acceptable noise levels for study, sleep and privacy.

Quiet and courtesy hours provide standards of acceptable noise levels for study, sleep and privacy. Quiet hours are in effect 10 p.m.-8 a.m., seven days a week. During quiet hours, all noise must be contained within individual student rooms and apartments at a level that is not disruptive to other residents. 

During final exams, 24-hour quiet hours are in effect beginning at 6 p.m., 48 hours prior to the first day of exams and extend until after the last exam.

At all other times, courtesy hours are in effect. Courtesy hours are defined as noise levels appropriate for residence hall and apartment living and not disruptive to others. This policy governs activities in individual rooms and apartments and outside in close proximity to halls and apartments. Residence Life staff members are available to assist you in resolving noise-related problems. It is always best to attempt to resolve such problems directly before staff is asked to intervene.

Residents must be enrolled as a student to reside in University Housing. Students who are not enrolled will be allowed two business days to register. If a student fails to register for classes, he/she will have 48 hours to vacate their room/apartment. 

A student's Austin Peay ID card is a multipurpose card used to gain access to residence hall buildings, Dining Services and other areas on campus. Unauthorized use, possession or duplication of a card is prohibited by University policy. If lost, please go to the Information desk in the Joe Morgan University Center for a replacement.

Items that require the use of flammable liquids or an open flame to operate, or that produce heat (i.e., Bunsen burners, candles, alcohol burners, incense) are not allowed in residents' rooms/apartments.

Bouncing of basketballs, flying disc throwing, skateboarding, throwing darts, roller blades, golfing, use of archery equipment, water sports (water balloon fights, snowball fights, etc.), playing catch or any other similar activities or games inside or in close proximity to the halls (activities cannot be within 100 feet of the buildings) or their respective parking lots are prohibited because of the possibility of damage and the resulting noise. Other games posing a threat to resident safety or facilities maintenance are also prohibited.

Parking is available for each residence hall in designated areas. Parking permits must be obtained from Campus Police, located in the Shasteen Building. If you are approved for a hall/apartment transfer, you are also required to transfer your current parking decal. Please contact the Office of Campus Police during regular business hours for more information. It is advisable not to keep valuable possessions in your car.

Pest control problems should be reported to the Physical Plant at 931-221-7424. All rooms and apartments are sprayed for pests as problems are reported.

A specific bulletin board marked “GENERAL CAMPUS POSTING ONLY” is provided in each residence hall posting of campus events and other types of information. Individuals/groups wishing to post information must obtain permission from the Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services. All information posted must be in compliance with the rules and regulations for posting as outlined by the Office of University Facilities. Information that does not have approval or that is posted improperly will be removed by the residence hall staff immediately. Possible disciplinary charges may be filed by Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services against the individual or organization. Resident room/apartment information signs or other decorations may not be displayed in windows or interior/exterior of the residence hall/apartments. Banners may be allowed with special permission. No types of door decorations, stickers, signs or other adhesive material may be placed on the exterior/interior of any residence hall/apartment complex.

The use of UL-approved power strips with a built-in circuit breaker is required on appliances and other electronic devices used inside a room/apartment.

Private rooms are available on a limited basis and only upon request. Students may apply for a private room only during “Great Change Day,” which occurs at the beginning of each semester. See “Room changes and hall transfers” for more information. When assigned to a single occupant room, you will be charged automatically the private room rate until such time you request to be moved or fail to reapply for the room. The private room guarantee is a non-prorated, nonrefundable fee that assures you no other resident will be assigned to your room or apartment bedroom during the current semester

Public areas in residence halls and apartments are for use and enjoyment by all residents. Individuals wanting to sponsor private social events should make arrangements to use other campus facilities. In addition, the grounds outside residence halls may not be used for private social events.

Applications to return to the Residence Hall system for the following academic year and applications for summer school are available during the Reapplication Week held in the spring. All current resident students will receive information about Reapplication Week well in advance via email. It is your responsibility to follow the directions set forth by the Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services to obtain residency for the next academic year.

Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services advocates the reduction of waste and the recycling of all reusable materials in all of its facilities. Recyclable items include aluminum cans, paper and some types of plastic containers.

You may bring your own refrigerator from home as long as it does not exceed five cubic feet. In addition to size requirements, you must use a power strip with a circuit breaker. Power strips are not required to be used when the refrigerator unit is being used in the kitchen area of the apartments. If your refrigerator unit exceeds five cubic feet, or you are not using an approved power strip with circuit breaker, you will be given 24 hours to correct the situation. Failure to correct the situation within 24 hours will cause your refrigerator unit to be confiscated by residence hall staff.

Release of private information to students or other interested parties is not permitted without prior written consent by the originator. Students must complete the FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) form to authorize release of private information to designated individuals. Directory information (telephone numbers and P.O. boxes) is considered public information.

Each residence hall is supervised directly by a trained residence hall director (RHD). The RHD coordinates the administrative and community activities of a specific residence hall. RHD offices are located in each residence hall. Although the RHD is there to assist you whenever you need it, the staff member with whom you will have the most direct contact is the resident assistant (RA). This person, also trained for his/her position, lives on your floor or on a nearby floor, is available to assist you with residence hall or apartment living and serves as an informational resource to Austin Peay. The RA is there to ensure community living standards are maintained and to work with all residents to plan informative and enjoyable activities.

The Residential Curriculum is an intentional way of promoting learning in college and university residence life and education programs with a focus on self–awareness, life skills, interpersonal abilities, collaboration and global citizenship. Residents who successfully complete the curriculum are eligible for incentives, which include housing scholarships.

Certain areas in and around the Residence Halls which are off limits to students, include but are not limited to: roofs, ledges, mechanical rooms, crawl spaces, etc.

As a resident, you will have several opportunities to move from your current room to another room in your same residence hall or to another hall/apartment. All room and hall changes must be approved prior to the move and by the appropriate housing staff. Violators will be subject to an improper check-out charge and disciplinary action.

You may request an in-hall room change by contacting your residence hall director (RHD) during the in-hall change period within the first two weeks of classes.

 You may request a hall transfer at the beginning of each semester during Great Change Day. Great Change Day occurs in the Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services. Changes occur on a first-come, first-served basis and based on availability.

While learning to live with differences is an important aspect of college life, we realize that sometimes needs and personalities are just too different. We also realize you may form friendships that result in a desire to change room or suitemates. Roommates must try to work through a roommate mediation meeting before a move can be considered other than during authorized hall/room changes.

 An empty residence hall room or apartment can be drab. Putting up posters, pictures and other decorations can add that touch of home. Make sure no holes or any type of damage results when hanging these items. You also may want to provide decorative lamps, throw pillows, plants or other personal items. Personal furniture is permitted. It is a good idea to discuss any room or apartment personalization with your roommate (s) before you begin. Every room/apartment is painted on a regular schedule. Residents desiring to personalize rooms or apartments may not: use wallpaper or contact paper in room/apartment due to the possible damage to University facilities; paint any part of room/apartment or University furniture or equipment; use nails or screws to hang items in your room/apartment; decorate your room/apartment in a manner in which damage occurs when removed; use wall coverings that cover 50 percent or more of the wall surface; use wall hangings such as fish netting, posters and tapestries hung from ceiling light fixtures, over radiators, electrical outlets, from sprinklers or smoke detectors. Use of adhesive materials (such as Command Strips) to personalize your room/apartment is permitted. However, residents will be responsible for any damage caused by use of adhesive material and will be charged for damage. Any type of personalization must be removed at the close of each academic year or any time when residents are not returning to the room/apartment. Please note that failure to comply with the above guidelines will result in charges being assessed. Furthermore, you will be given 48 hours to correct the violation.

Smoking is prohibited in all residence halls and apartments. This includes lounges, laundry rooms and vending areas. Smoking is permitted in designated parking areas only. This includes electronic cigarettes.

To protect students against fraudulent involvement, sectarian promulgation or interruption of their studies, to ensure that the property of the University is not used for monetary gain, door-to-door soliciting, sectarian promulgation or political propaganda in residence halls is prohibited, except in the common lounges with the prior approval of the associate director of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services. Fundraising in University housing is limited to official Residence Life organizations and approved University organizations. A fundraising approval form must be submitted two weeks in advance to the Associate Director of Housing/Residence Life. This form is available from the Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services. Fundraising activities are limited to housing common areas (i.e., inside or adjacent to lounges). Door-to-door solicitation or privately sponsored room/apartment sales solicitation is not permitted in University Housing.

Sprinklers exist throughout the residence halls, in student rooms, corridors and public areas. This will greatly enhance your safety while living in the residence halls. Do not remove or tamper with the sprinkler head or any part of the system. Do not hang ANYTHING from a sprinkler head or from any other part of the fire suppression equipment, including the pipes. Keep a clearance of 18 inches around sprinkler heads. Keep sources of heat away from the sprinkler heads. Avoid hitting the sprinkler heads when moving items into, out of or around a room. Do not engage in sports or horseplay that could result in anything striking a sprinkler head anywhere in the residence hall. Report any damaged or missing sprinkler head or other damaged components. Balls, flying discs and other items that can damage the sprinkler head are not to be thrown in rooms, hallways or other public areas. Damages caused by residents will be billed to their student accounts.

Austin Peay is committed to providing a safe, clean and healthy environment for students, faculty and staff. To accomplish this goal, the University has implemented an ongoing program of campus beautification and renovation of existing structures to include removal of all asbestos and other hazardous materials. Tests are conducted periodically on the air quality to determine whether there is risk to one's health. The University will continue to monitor this situation and plan for renovations.

As a residential student, you have the capability of bringing internet-based electronics for streaming (i.e. Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Smart TV, etc.). In order to prevent unnecessary buffering, streaming devices with a wired connection are recommended. To connect wired devices to the network, connect an Ethernet cable to the device and the Ethernet port located in the wall. If students wish to connect via wireless connection, this is also a possibility; however, you will need to ensure that your TV is an approved device. For assistance with connecting wireless and devices and determine if the device is approved, please contact the GovsTech Help Desk at 931-221-4357.

All surveys conducted in Austin Peay State University Housing must have the prior approval from the director of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services. Surveys will be limited to assessments to the quality of residence life, specific issues affecting campus life, University-sponsored surveys and official U.S. government business (i.e., census).

In Residential Facilities with central air conditioning and heating, thermostats are to be set in a range from 68-82 degrees. This will help ensure cooling systems do not freeze up in warm weather and will help conserve energy during peak winter months.

Students are encouraged to cooperate with the residence hall staff during a tornado watch or warning. A watch is the first alerting message from the U.S. Weather Service which specifies an area and a period of time during which tornado probabilities are expected to be dangerously high. A warning is issued when a tornado actually has been sighted in the area or detected by radar. A basement offers the best protection. When there is none, go to center hallways, bathrooms or closets. Stay away from windows. Get under heavy furniture. In multistory buildings, move to the lowest level, center areas– hallways, stairways, or lowest level closet or bathroom away from windows. Students should wait for an “all clear” signal from your residence hall director (RHD), resident assistant (RA) or Campus Police before returning to your room.

Items of value will be tagged with pertinent information and turned into the Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services Office.  An Area Coordinator will contact the student via email regarding the unclaimed property.  The student will be given ten (10) business days from the time of notification to claim the property.  If the item(s) are not claimed within ten (10) business days, it will be disposed of accordingly.  Residents will be assessed a storage fee for the stored items.

The value of each item is at the discretion of the RHD.

Residence hall staff are responsible for disposing of these items immediately. Residence hall staff are instructed not to keep any items for any reason.

The value of each item is at the discretion of the RHD.


 Students will be notified of University closing on the APSU website. Students who have registered for RAVE Alert through the University will receive a text message/email. 

Students located in residence halls/apartments will be given 48 hours to vacate for the following reasons: Voluntary cancellation of housing license agreement; suspension from University housing; loss of status as a student; nonpayment of registration fees, housing fees, etc.; and withdrawal from the University.


Carbonated beverages, water and snack machines are located in all residence hall lobbies or laundry areas. Problems or requests for refunds should be reported to Auxiliary Services at 931-221-6164. When the refund is available, residents will receive a notice in their campus post office box. It is the resident’s responsibility to pick up the refund.

Visitation guidelines are maintained to ensure privacy and security for students housed in residence halls and apartments. Specifically, visitation refers to regulated access to student rooms by members of the opposite sex. This includes rooms, stairwells, balconies, walkways and hallways.

A guest is defined as a person(s) who is not a member of the residence hall system. Gatherings of nine or more students in attendance must register in advance with the hall staff.

In an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19, residents are allowed to have 1 guest per roommate. Resident and guests are encouraged to wear their masks while visiting.

Students may have one (1) overnight guest of the same sex, and their stay may not exceed two nights per week.  All guests must be registered through the RA On Duty.  Residents are responsible for their guests at all times, and they are to respect the needs, rights, and privacy of your room/apartment mates.

Visitation violations will result in the resident being referred for disciplinary action to the Office of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services. Guests must be escorted at all times when visiting the residence halls/apartments. Guests are not allowed access to stairwells, balcony areas, walkways and/or hallways after visitation hours. Guests should contact the person they are visiting prior to arrival. Violation of this policy will result in the occupant (s) being billed and disciplinary action taken.

Visitation Hours are : 8 a.m. to Midnight, Monday - Thursday 

24 hours starting at 8 am on Friday and ending at midnight on Sunday.


24 hour visitation, 7 days a week
Waterbeds and other water-filled furniture are not permitted.

In order to reduce the probability of mold, mildew or other fungal growth, it is necessary that you provide appropriate climate control, keep the apartment clean and take other measures to prevent mold and mildew. Immediately report any evidence of a water leak or excessive moisture in your room, as well as in any storage room or common area. In addition, please report any evidence of mold or mildew like growth in your room or ac/heating unit.


It is a violation of the student code of conduct for a person to knowingly spy upon, observe or otherwise view (using equipment such as webcam, video camera, digital camera, etc.), photograph or cause to be photographed any individual is in a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, without the prior effective consent of such individual. It is also a violation to recklessly or maliciously interfere with or damage computer or network resources or computer date, files or other information; engage in or attempt to engage in a denial of service; use University resources to illegally distribute copyrighted material; fail to comply with laws, license agreements and contracts governing network, software and hardware use; use University computing resources for unauthorized commercial purposes or personal gain.

No type of decorating, signs, etc. may be posted or be hung in between the window and the window blind or directly on the window (inside or out). No items shall be stored, thrown and/or passed from any residence hall/apartment window.

Windows should remain closed when the heating/cooling system is operating. For the security of your personal property, windows should remain locked and curtains or blinds drawn when no one is home. Windows may not be used as an entrance into the residence. Report any damage to window/window locks immediately to Physical Plant. Call 931-221-6228

An official withdrawal requires that all courses be dropped by completing the form through AP OneStop. All students withdrawing from the University during fall, spring or summer semesters must vacate completely from their assigned room/apartment before a University withdrawal form is signed. Specifically, the student must remove all personal belongings and complete a proper checkout with the residence hall staff. Failure to check out of your residence may result in a continuing charge to our account for occupying the room/apartment assigned.

It is against University policy to attach network extension devices or network services to the campus network. These devices include attaching wireless access points without permission and management from the Office of Information Technology. Access is available in all academic buildings, Dunn Center, Joe Morgan University Center and Foy Fitness and Recreation Center. All Residence Halls have wireless access.



Discipline Process

The Residence Life staff is committed to providing a safe and comfortable environment for all students. When a student violates one of the policies designed to ensure the safety and comfort of others, the student will be held responsible for his/her actions through the discipline process. This process is designed to be fair, to uphold a student's rights and to be as educational a process as possible. The disciplinary process usually begins with an incident report.

Incident reports are used to document an incident that occurs in the halls/apartments. Usually, these incidents are policy or regulation violations. This form is used by the hall staff to communicate the facts of an incident to the Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services staff. Documenting each incident ensures that the appropriate action is taken. Incident reports can be used to document facts about a theft or unusual happenings in the hall/apartment to keep the hall staff informed. If you are named in an incident report, you may be asked to talk with a judiciary officer of Housing/Residence Life and Dining Services or a Student Affairs judicial officer. If you are found to be responsible for the violation of a policy or regulation, you will be subject to disciplinary action. This action may be on an informal or formal level.

An informal disciplinary action is for minor, first-time violations. Informal discipline involves a one-on-one conference with a staff member of Housing/ Residence Life and Dining Services. This conference will create an informal discipline file that will remain on record with the student for a period of five years. The purpose of this informal action is to hold students accountable for their actions and to have educational interaction with a University staff member. *During this meeting, you will be advised of your rights as an Austin Peay student and you will be given the opportunity to explain, in your words, what occurred during the alleged policy violation. If you are found to be responsible for the violation in question, you may be issued a disciplinary warning form, required to attend an educational workshop, issued a letter of reprimand, referred for formal discipline and/or a combination of these sanctions.

 A formal action is for repeat offenses, multiple charges or major policy infractions. A student charged with Formal Discipline will have a choice to be heard by the University Hearing Board or with the Associate Director of Housing. If found responsible, a student could be subject to a disciplinary sanctioning ranging from educational counseling to housing contract termination. See your student handbook for more information on disciplinary rules and Code of Student Conduct.