Physical Plant Services
- All plans for new work (not being performed by Physical Plant) that involve connections to building facilities, and utilities must be reviewed for approval by Physical Plant to ensure full code compliance.
- Work that requires modification of the building structure, such as installation of walls and doors, requires the approval of Campus Planning as well as Physical Plant.
- All requests for department support should be submitted in writing to the Director of Physical Plant.
- Any accessories such as bulletin boards, wall shelving and coat racks must be ordered by the requester and can be installed by Physical Plant.
- Departments are responsible for procurement of furniture, rugs, bulletin boards, wall shelving and coat racks for their own infrastructure support.
Basic Maintenance Services
Basic maintenance services may be requested by placing a work request using the Work Request System. All requests requiring action by Physical Plant will be assigned work order numbers to allow future reference and follow-up. All requests will be acknowledged with an email upon assignment and completion.
The basic services provided by Physical Plant without charge or preconditions are to:
- Maintain, repair and operate all standard building heating and air conditioning facilities.
- Maintain, repair and operate special service facilities that are integral components of the buildings such as swimming pool maintenance, lab hood ventilation, lighting equipment, compressed air and processed water systems.
- Paint all public space including classrooms, corridors, stairwells, toilet facilities, lecture halls.
- Provide custodial services for interior of buildings and includes custodial contract services. NOTE: This does NOT include dorm rooms.
- Paint offices - requests to paint offices are evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Removal of snow from the sidewalks and litter from the grounds and maintain landscaping.
- Pickup and discard unwanted furniture, equipment and debris.
- Schedule furniture and equipment relocation on campus during normal working hours.
- Provide table and chair setups and custodial services for academic or student events between 6:00AM Monday and 2:00PM Friday. NOTE: charges apply for outside groups, student organizations or if after hours.
- Provide and maintain public signs (e.g. building exit, lavatories, etc.).
- Maintain and change the time twice yearly of classroom, hallway and public space clocks.
- Install new window shades purchased by departments. NOTE: On request Physical Plant will measure windows before you place the order.
- Provide extermination services campus-wide under contract. Special requests will be honored and a service person will be available twice weekly to address specific problems.
Services NOT PROVIDED by Physical Plant**
- Providing storage facilities for idle furniture and equipment. NOTE: Furniture and equipment sent to surplus will be reissued on a first-come-first serve basis, due to limited storage space.
- Purchasing of department furniture and equipment. NOTE: This is the responsibility of each department.
- Installation or replacement of carpeting and/or flooring.
- On campus messenger service.
- Purchasing or repairing window shades. NOTE: Measurement, purchase, and installation can be done without charge as long
as funds are provided for the purchases.
**OUTSIDE VENDORS MAY BE CONTRACTED FOR SOME OF THESE SERVICES. CONTACT TARA ADAMS AT email@example.com FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS PROCESS.
Billable Services/Charge Back Policy
The Physical Plant department's goal is to maximize productivity under the basic maintenance services category. It is however, important to note that the Physical Plant budget is developed in order to cover basic maintenance alone.
Office or building modifications, upgrades and renovations must be funded through alternate funding sources. Work orders for alteration of an office or building are considered special request or additional projects and will be referred back to the Director or Department Head of the area requesting the work with an estimate of the funds necessary to complete the work. NOTE: These types of request must be submitted by purchase requisition and have the Director or Department Chair and Vice President Signature for work to be considered.
Consideration will be given to minor special requests without charge back. Work required in conjunction with relocation's mandated by the Administration will be exempted from the charge back policy. NOTE: For all NON-MANDATED work, the cost of relocation of furniture in and out of the space to accommodate a renovation should be part of the contract with the engaged contractor. If contractor does not include installation within the specification, funds should be set aside to reimburse Physical Plant for the cost of labor.
Campus emergencies will take priority over any projects being conducted regardless of their status or at the time being performed.
Time and Material Charge Based Services:
- Upgrading or modification of building facilities, such as electric or water services for support of lab or other specialized equipment, including kilns, special A/C or lighting.
- Acquiring, installing or making major repairs to specialized facilities to augment electric power, air conditioning, heating, lighting or other systems.
- Moving furniture, material or equipment after hours.
- Providing tables and chairs for any event involving an outside organization or for University organizations not during regular business hours.
- Producing, repairing or modifying furniture (other than classroom), shelving or lockers.
- Installing locks on file cabinets.
- Production of signs for departments (e.g. desk signs, department name or department staff signs, etc.).