The Honors Program at Austin Peay State University
The Honors Program is designed to challenge students and provide opportunities for creative exploration and intellectual development. The program requires motivated students to fulfill a minimum of 25 hours of honors designated courses, including a senior thesis. There is also a non-thesis option. Honors courses are available in the general education core, as separate courses, and in upper-division courses in the various majors.
The Austin Peay State University Honors Program will foster the growth of creative and critical thinkers and life-long learners to pursue fulfilling intellectual and professional paths in an international setting.
The mission of the Austin Peay State University Honors program is to support and engage high-achieving students by providing a welcoming physical space and a vigorous intellectual climate that encourages honest debate and social growth through the open exchange of ideas.
This mission is accomplished by:
- Challenging Honors students by providing innovative approaches to the acquisition of knowledge
- Providing students a diverse perspective
- Supporting students as they move beyond the academy
- Facilitating intellectual growth in and out of the classroom.
- Encouraging cross-cultural experiences and global awareness to deepen their understanding of the world
- Interdisciplinary coursework developed by talented academician and co-curricular opportunities at APSU and beyond.
What qualifications do I need to apply to the Honors Program?
Applications are currently being accepted for Fall 2022. Applicants who are coming directly from high school must have a minimum 3.5 unweighted high-school GPA or a minimum 24 on the ACT. Please apply at the Honors Program Application. High-achieving students who transfer to Austin Peay can also apply to the Honors Program by contacting the Director of the Honors Program at Honors@apsu.edu.
Transfer student information:
Transfer students must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA from their prior institution. Any prior Honors credit may be applied as substitutions for Honors courses at APSU. Transfer students will be required to complete the courses appropriate to their level of achievement. For example, a student who comes in as a junior will be required to complete at least 12 hours of Honors coursework.
What benefits will I receive from being in the Honors Program?
- A more challenging and rigorous curriculum including close interaction with their instructors and fellow students
- A community with like-minded students
- 24/7 access to the Honors Commons using their Austin Peay ID
- Priority registration, registering as soon as registration is open to undergraduate students
- The option for residence with other Honors Program students at a residence hall
- Ability to pursue high-impact opportunities in undergraduate research, study abroad, internships, and service learning
What is Required of Honors Program Students?
- Students admitted into the Honors Program must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- They are also required to complete a minimum of 25 hours of Honors credit distributed as follows. Descriptions of these courses can be found here.
An example of the course layout for Honors students can be found here.
Honors students will abide by the Code of Student Conduct as set forth in the APSU Student Handbook. Infractions against the Code of Student Conduct may result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Honors Program.