Go back

Career Opportunities

Having a bachelor’s degree in social work is the minimum requirement for entry into the profession. A master’s degree in social work or related field may be the standard for many positions. Licensing as an independent practitioner requires a master’s degree in social work and in most states two years of clinical supervision. Advancement to many positions such as supervisor, program manager, assistant director, etc. also require the master’s degree.

Be sure to visit the following websites for more information about the nature of social work:

Becoming a Licensed Social Worker

The Social Work Career Center

Occupational Outlook Handbook

The New Social Worker: The Magazine for Social Work Students and Recent Graduates