Go back

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

We encourage students to check their status on AP Onestop. Check out our Readiness Checklist for a quick view of all requirements.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed each year in order to receive federal aid.

The FAFSA opens October 1st each year.

  • Apply free online. This is the fastest way to apply for Financial Aid.
  • Complete & mail a free paper FAFSA to the U.S. Department of Education.

Your application will not be processed until the U.S. Department of Education receives your signature(s).

  • For free help completing the FAFSA, please visit the U.S. Department of Education’s online guide.
  • For additional details please review the Financial Aid Process.

As of the date you complete the FAFSA, enter all information as accurately as possible. After you receive notification from the US Department of Education the FAFSA has been processed, and after the change in your situation, notify our office. You may be able to complete a Special Consideration for Reduction in Income or a Dependency Override Request.

Your FAFSA is processed by the US Department of Education. As long as there are no errors or problems, your FAFSA information is electronically transmitted to the school(s) listed on your application. If there are problems or errors, the U.S. Department of Education will notify you.

Award notifications will be sent via AP Mail. Awards may also be viewed on AP One Stop. Please follow instructions for accepting awards.

The custodial parent is responsible for filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The custodial parent is the parent with who supported you more than 50% during the past 12 months.

You may make this change online. Log in and select "Make a Correction" to your FAFSA. Allow 3-5 business days for the information to transfer.

You can call and update this information over the phone by calling 1-800-4-FED-AID and providing your Data Release Number (DRN). The DRN is located on the 1st page of your Student Aid Report (SAR).

You will normally receive a response from our office within 14 business days of the request. However, a decision may take 3-5 weeks once the financial aid office has received all documents.

You will not receive any financial aid for the term you do not attend. If you have borrowed loans, you will begin using your authorized grace period. Repayment of the loan could begin depending on the number of months you remain less than half time.

The Federal government pays the interest on subsidized loans while the student is enrolled in school for at least half-time.

With an unsubsidized loan, the interest payments are the responsibility of the student. Students can elect to pay the interest on the unsubsidized loan while in school or can choose to let the interest accrue. Arrangements for payment should be made through the student’s lender, not the school.

Federal Work Study is an employment program sponsored by the Federal Government.

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year, and meet the priority published deadline dates as well as the federal eligibility requirements. Please note that work study funds are on a first come, first served basis and may deplete quickly. 

FSEOG is a campus-based grant funded by the federal government for undergraduate, degree-seeking students with exceptional financial need. You must meet the priority published deadline dates as well as the federal eligibility requirements. In order to apply, you must complete the FAFSA.

You need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. For additional information, please visit the Tennessee Student Assistance Scholarship Corporation.

Only if you are applying for the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship. Please refer to our scholarships page for additional scholarships and information.

Please visit our cost of attendance page for more information.

Applications are processed in the date order of which they are received. The processing time for the loans, up to the actual receipt of funds, can take approximately 4-6 weeks.

Normally if your lender electronically transmits your funds to the school, it should be received within 5 – 7 business days. If your lender mails a paper check, it will take approximately 2 weeks.

Please refer to the list of eligibility requirements.

Please refer to the list of counselors.

Ellington Building, 2nd floor, Room 216.