Go back

Claxton Education Building

College of Education Frequently Asked Questions 

Thank you for your interest in the APSU College of Education. Below are many of the questions that we have been asked by new students. If you don't find the answer to your question here, click the "Want More Information?" link on the left side of the page. 

General FAQ 

OneStop is exactly what it sounds like, it is a one stop shop for APSU students. OneStop is where students can register for classes, check their school email, acquire housing, find assignments on Desire2Learn (D2L), and much more. 

The College of Education offers a variety of programs ranging from prek-3 up to the higher education levels. The college also offers graduate programs for educators such as the Curriculum & Instruction program. 

Time to complete a teacher certification program depends on the program you are in and your student status (part/full time). 

Log into OneStop and click on '"Degree Compass.'" Your advisor is listed where it says "Student Advisor:_______." You will meet with your advisor once per semester to ensure you are on the right track with your degree. If you believe you do not have a major advisor, go to your academic department and speak with the administrative assistant. This assistant will be able to help you with this process. Keep in mind that it is the major advisor who will approve and confirm appropriate course selections. 

Having a good relationship with your advisor is desirable and requires active participation from you in the process. When meeting with your advisor, bring your graduation plan or 4-year plan with you, along with other appropriate information. It is your responsibility to schedule advisement appointments with your advisor. Pre-registration should be completed during the scheduled time. If your advising relationship is not adequate, then it is appropriate to request another advisor. This can be done with the assistant in CX 205. If you do not have an advisor this can also be requested in CX 205.

Who you talk to depends on the program in which you are interested in. Find a list of our programs here along with the corresponding faculty member to contact.  

This depends on when you are planning to start your classes. Up-to-Date deadlines for specific semesters can be found here

For Milestone I the minimum GPA is 2.5 (2.75 for graduate students). For Milestone II, III, and IV the minimum GPA is 2.75. Find more information about milestones here. For students who do not meet the GPA requirement, it is important to plan a strategy with your major advisor and/or minor advisor to raise the GPA. The following steps may be part of your strategy to raise your GPA: retaking appropriate classes, utilizing the Academic Support Center, the CARE policy, and the Fresh Start Policy.

 You can apply multiple times to the College of Education. 

The Department of Teaching and Learning encompasses programs who aid students in obtaining initial licensure whereas the Department of Educational Specialties includes those programs that involve advanced licensure in a particular area. 

Distance Education is when the instructor and the students are in different places. APSU has many online distance education classes to aid students who can't be on campus. 

  •  Log into OneStop
  • Click on Web Self Service
  • Click on Student
  • Click on Registration
  • Click on Change or Declare Major, Concentration, or Minor
  • Change your Concentration to K-6, 4-8, PreK-3
  • Change your Minor to Professional Education (if you are looking to obtain teacher licensure)
  • Click Submit

 This completely depends on your major, as each major has different requirements. However, from the "Degree Programs" page on the College of Education Website you can easily find your program and the courses it requires for completion. There is also a printable program sheet for each program for your convenience.

 If you decide to switch programs you should immediately contact your academic advisor so they can help you with your future course of action in signing up for and taking classes. If you do not know who your academic advisor is, you can find out by logging into OneStop and clicking on "Degree Compass." It is imperative to draft a graduation plan to show your new advisor. It is also important to ask them if particular courses are only offered in the fall/spring.

Multiple course delivery options are available for most initial licensure courses (face-to-face, online and hybrid).

Yes, but courtesy placements will be made for extenuating circumstances. Contact the Office of Teacher Education and Partnerships for more information.

Please contact Kevin Fee at feek@apsu.edu for more information on renewing your licensure.  
LiveText is a standards assessment tool utilized by APSU and required for all education majors. It should be purchased as soon as you enter the education program as it will be used in courses throughout your program. Failure to upload key assessments and other assignments may result in automatic course failure.

Undergraduate FAQ


Time to complete a teacher certification program depends on the program you are in and your student status (part/full time). 

If you are a secondary teaching major, then you will also have a minor advisor. Secondary majors have a major advisor assigned from the department of their subject area. This is the advisor who approves your choices for course selection. However, in your planning you should also be in consultation with your minor advisor to ensure completion of the professional education minor. The minor advisor is most familiar with the milestone assessment process and the required education courses sequencing and connections with state licensing. For those majoring in Elementary (PreK-3, K-6, 4-8) or special education, you will not have a minor advisor. 

If you have already or almost completed your content courses for any secondary content area and want to be licensed, then you will also complete the requirements for the professional education minor. This means you will have both a major advisor for your content area and a minor advisor for education. It is important to meet your major advisor and discuss your graduation plan routinely and confirm milestone sequencing with your minor advisor.

 In order to graduate from APSU with a teacher licensure you must pass the Praxis. Meaning, you will repeatedly attempt the exam until you pass. 

If the Praxis II exams change, then you need to take the new exam requirement. Therefore, it is your responsibility to take the exams listed at the top of the current program sheet for your licensure area. Communicate effectively with your advisor to make sure you are on the right track.

Graduate FAQ

 There are a few programs offered through the College of Education that can be completed 100% online. These programs are: Master of Arts in Education, Curriculum and Instruction Program (Instructional Technology), Reading Specialist Program, and English Language Learner (ELL) Endorsement. Learn more here. 
You do not need a teaching licensure to enter into a graduate level teaching program. You can get your licensure at the the graduate level through the Master of Arts in Teaching Program. This program is geared toward students who have obtained a bachelors degree in another subject and are now wanting to be licensed teachers. Learn more here.