Site Supervisor Resources
The faculty and students of the Counseling Graduate Program at Austin Peay State University wish to thank you for your generous contribution of valuable time in serving as an on-site supervisor for practicum and internship students. Your efforts help promote excellence in the field of Counseling and the supervisory role you play will elevate the quality of education and directly impact the professional development of the intern at your site.
- Site Supervisors Handbook: Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration (updated 2/2022)
- Site Supervisors Handbook: School Counseling Concentration (updated 8/2022)
In order to meet CACREP accreditation requirements, all supervisors must show proof of receiving some form of supervision training. If you have not received supervision training, or cannot provide proof of receiving supervision training, please go to the Supervisor Training Resources page to find supervisor training modules. At the end of the module is a brief quiz. Once you have completed the module and the quiz, we will send you a certificate of completion.
Expectations for Practicum and Internship Students
In compliance with CACREP standards, we require practicum students to complete 100 hours (120 hours for school counseling) at practicum sites. Interns are required to complete 600 hours at internship sites. Students attend a university group supervision seminar each week in which they will be required present case staffings and, if possible, share videotapes or audio recordings of counseling sessions. This method allows for the most effective feedback to enhance the learning experience of the developing intern. Additionally, students must maintain logs of their time spent at the site and develop a learning contract approved by both on-site and university supervisors. A foundation for these learning contracts can be accessed in the internship manual. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, students are required to receive weekly on-site supervision for one hour. This supervision takes place continuously throughout the duration of the field experience.
Guidelines for Supervision of Students in a Professional Setting
The following are key points for on-site supervisors who are working with practicum and internship students. Your cooperation in providing these experiences for the student will be appreciated.
- Please allow the student to observe you in your role as a counselor, including your counseling with clients, if possible, prior to his/her beginning to provide services. This is an ethical and effective teaching technique, and if the client’s permission is obtained, the counseling is rarely, if ever, impeded.
- Please provide guidance to the student for developing a realistic, well-balanced plan or learning contract which will meet the course requirements as closely as possible. She/he will share the course syllabus describing those requirements. After you and the supervisor have approved the student's contract, a copy will be provided to you.
- Please observe the student at regular intervals as he/she counsels with clients individually and in groups, and performs the various other counselor functions. In addition, please provide feedback and suggestions to the student for improving her/his professional knowledge and skills.
- Please set aside time to meet weekly with your student to review and critique videotapes of individual and group counseling sessions he/she has conducted. Your feedback in this activity will be highly beneficial.
- Please expect the student to conduct her/himself in a highly professional, ethical manner. Should any problems arise regarding this or any other aspect of the practicum or internship, discuss the issue with the student. If the issue of concern to you is not satisfactorily resolved, please feel free to contact the university supervisor as soon as possible so that we may work together to settle the problem.
- Please encourage student to take advantage of professional development activities for counselors of which you may be aware, such as meetings of professional associations, conferences, workshops, and seminars.
- Please be sure that co-workers and clients (in agencies) or principal, teachers, staff, students, and parents (in schools) are informed that you are supervising a practicum student / intern and are aware that he/she will be providing counseling and related services under your supervision and that of the university supervisor.
- Your help as a facilitator in providing the student with access to clients, facilities, and materials is essential and will be appreciated
Additional Standards and Resources for Supervisors
- CACREP Standards 2016: Potential supervisors should pay special attention to Section 3, specifically supervisor qualifications.
- ACES Best Practices for Clinical Supervision
- ACA Code of Ethics
- ASCA Code of Ethics
- School Counseling Intern Handbook Template