APSU - VA Vocational Rehabilitation Books & Supplies Policy
Effective 1 December 2013
Am I approved to purchase books and supplies at the APSU Bookstore under VA Vocational Rehabilitation, Chapter 31?
Our office will notify the Office of the Bursar to set up a book debit account (by enrollment term) for you if the following has been completed:
- Our office must have a current (not expired) VA Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status (VA Form 28-1905) from your VA VR counselor on file.
- First-Time VA VR students at APSU (click on the link for your requirements)
- Current VA VR students (click on the link for your requirements)
- Confirm your registration
- The courses for which you are purchasing books and supplies must be required courses.
**If you choose to start courses prior to approval of your program of study with your assigned VA VR counselor, our office will not be able to certify courses or allow you to purchase books/supplies until your VA VR counselor submits the VA Form 28-1905 to our office. In this situation, our office recommends that you only enroll in required General Education Core courses until your program of study is finalized. You will be responsible for charges (tuition/fees, books, etc.) associated with courses that are deemed excessive (not required for your program of study).
Purchasing Deadlines—Books and Supplies must be purchased at the APSU Bookstore within the published dates for each term.
NOTE: Our office understands that situations may arise where purchases are needed to be made after the published dates. Exceptions may be approved by our office if you provide documentation from your instructor regarding the new required supplies or a memorandum from your VA VR counselor.
What does VA Vocational Rehabilitation (VA VR) pay for?
VA VR will reimburse APSU for tuition/fees, textbooks and required supplies.
- Current tuition/fees for required courses
- Required textbooks - purchases that exceed the $1,000 limit must have written documentation from the VA VR counselor
- Routine supplies—maximum $50 per term
- Other necessary school expenses for required courses such as professional exams, uniform fees, tutoring, and graduation fees.
- Additional requirements for certified courses that are not textbooks or routine supplies will not be allowed unless prior approval from your VA VR counselor is received by our office.
Examples of acceptable purchases other than textbooks/routine supplies that require documentation for prior approval:
- One-time purchase of a scientific calculator—you must provide a copy of your Math course syllabus to the APSU Bookstore at time of purchase; the amount of the calculator will be charged to your VA VR book debit account.
- One-time purchase of a book bag—your VA VR counselor must provide a memorandum to our office that authorizes this purchase.
- Uniforms (for example: Nursing students)—your VA VR counselor must provide a memorandum to our office that authorizes this purchase.
- Required supplies that exceed the maximum $75 (like Art studio supplies)—your VA VR counselor must provide a memorandum to our office that authorizes these purchases. You must provide a copy of the syllabus outlining the specific supplies.