Austin Peay State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s and education specialist degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Austin Peay State University. The Commission is to be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support an institution's significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard.
The teacher preparation programs of the University are accredited by The National
Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education for the preparation of elementary and
secondary teachers through the master’s degree level. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Degree is approved by the Tennessee Department of Health – Board of Nursing and accredited
by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing. Social Work is accredited
by the Council on Social Work Education. The Medical Technology program is accredited
by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
The University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. All baccalaureate programs in Art are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The Chemistry program is approved by the American Chemical Society.
Accreditation assures that the student is enrolled at an institution accredited by the region's accrediting body. Successful reaffirmation provides support of essential University
- Access to federal financial aid, grants and other federal support
- Ability for students to transfer credit hours to other institutions of higher education, if the credits are appropriate to the designated curriculum
- Recognition of the earned bachelor’s degree when applying to graduate schools
- Eligibility of some students to sit for professional licensure exams
- Demonstration of institutional effectiveness