Why Should You Major in Mathematics?
Mathematics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, and Actuarial Science are consistently ranked among the majors with highest earning potential (see Payscale Salary Report), with many careers opportunities available after graduation.
Interested in law school? Major in math! Mathematics majors score higher (on average) on the LSAT than history majors, political science majors, English majors or economics majors.
Interested in a graduate business degree? Major in math! Mathematics majors, on average, do very well on the GMAT.
Interested in grad school in engineering or physics? How about medical school? A mathematics major is great preparation!
Of course you can always major in mathematics to become a math teacher or professor, but there are also careers in quality control, operations research, statistics, and actuarial science, to name a few that want employees with strong math backgrounds. These careers routinely land at or near the top of surveys of job desirability based on environment, income, employment outlook, physical demands and stress level. (See CareerCast's rankings, for example.)
Check out the MAA Online Career Profiles webpage for lots of examples of careers in mathematics and related fields.
Why Mathematics at APSU?
- Small class size and individual attention from faculty.
- Four different major options (mathematics, statistics, mathematic education, or actuarial science).
- Excellent close-knit college.
- Opportunities in undergraduate research with internationally recognized scholars.
- Active student organizations --the Galois Math Club and the Tennessee Epsilon Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, national mathematics honor society.
- Honors courses in mathematics.
- Opportunities to attend regional and national conferences.
- Opportunities to take the Putnam Exam and to enter the Mathematical Contest in Modeling.
- Good record of placing graduates in highly ranked Master's and PhD programs.
- Many scholarship possibilities of our majors.
Here are some quotes from our students:
- "I can honestly say that studying mathematics has been such a wonderful and fulfilling experience so far. My professors and my peers in the Math department have made a huge impact on my success during my time at APSU." - Malori Cloys, Senior
- "Austin Peay's math department has deepened my understanding of, and passion for, mathematics. I could not be where I am today without the support of my math professors." - Tyler Hagemann, Junior
- "The faculty members in the department are very encouraging and helpful in my pursuit to be a future math teacher. APSU is great at cultivating women in STEM, and it is a great institution to further your education in the STEM field." - Breanna Vanden Berg, Junior
- "The research experience I have gained at APSU could not be matched by any other university. Austin Peay provided me multiple opportunities to do interesting research, to present my work at conferences, and to work with very knowledgeable professors to publish papers." - Kindyl King, Senior
- "I have been able to accomplish things during my undergraduate time that wouldn't have been possible without the overwhelming support of the math department, between the funding to study abroad and present research at conferences, writing countless letters of recommendation, and simply being a source of constant encouragement." - Emily Stark, Alumni (2017)
- "The mathematics department at APSU allowed me the freedom to explore the fields of mathematics and statistics as much as I wanted, then pushed me even further than I knew was possible. The solid foundation I received at APSU gave me all the necessary tools to be successful in graduate school and beyond." - Elisha Hall, Alumni (2016)