Foy Fitness & Recreation Center Facilities
Named in honor of John Foy (APSU donor and alumnus, class of 1964), this $11 million state-of-the-art recreation center is the home of University Recreation. This 78,000 square foot structure features a 10,000 square foot fitness center, 2 group fitness studios, a cycling studio, a functional training room, 3 racquetball courts, 3 multi-purpose basketball courts, an indoor track, an intramural field, 25-yard outdoor heated pool, a 26-foot indoor climbing wall, a 12-foot free-standing boulder, wellness education classroom, and equipment checkout desk.
The Foy Center has many spaces for you to workout and recreate, including multi-purpose basketball courts, a Functional Training Room, racquetball courts and more! For more information, please contact Brad Allen.
Given the variety of spaces, University Recreation facilities are suitable for a wide array of activities. Department programs and services take priority in considering facility rental requests. University events generally take precedence over other activities. The climbing wall, fitness studios, multi-purpose basketball courts, racquetball courts, intramural field, pool, wellness classroom, and second floor lobby are all available for rentals. Rental rates are listed below. For more information, please contact Kathleen Evans.
Online APSU System
Interested parties may browse the calendar as guests to check on available dates. The requesting individual/organization must first create an account on their first use.
Rental fee includes harnesses, belay devices and belay staff for the number of people indicated.
- 6-10 people: $100
- 11-15 people: $125
- 16-20 people: $150
For all rentals outside of operating hours.
- per contractor
Activities may be restricted; stereo equipment and fitness equipment not included. Additional $50 per studio if tarps are required.
- $35 per studio
- $25 per half of field
- $30 per half of field with lights
Additional $75 per court if activity requires tarps.
- $50 per court for standard rentals (rentals requiring no extra accommodations or set-up i.e. practices, etc.)
- $60 per court for events (rentals requiring extra accommodations or set-up i.e. tournaments, performances, parties, etc.)
Lifeguards included. Rates increase for rentals outside of regular operating hours.
Hourly Rates during operating hours
- 1-25 people: $45
- 26-50 people: $70
Hourly Rates outside of operating hours (min. of 2 hours)
- 1-25 people: $65
- 26-50 people: $125
- 51-75 people: $180
- 76-100 people: $250
Activities may be restricted. Additional $50 per court if tarps are required.
- $20 per court
Note: Facility hours adjust during summer, semester breaks, and holidays.
- $50 for 1 court
- $75 for 2 courts
APSU Facility Rental policy mandates security per the Police Staffing Matrix.
- per Campus Police
Applied to any activity that may damage the floor as determined by University Recreation Staff.
- $50 per Racquetball Court or Fitness Studio
- $75 per Multipurpose Court
The rental must not block any entrances/access to stairwells or interfere with regular operations and flow of traffic.
Other Request Information
- All rentals must be paid, in full, at least 24 hours prior to the start time of the first rental. Missing this deadline will result in the all confirmed rentals being canceled.
- Events hosted by non-APSU individuals/organizations must provide proof of a minimum of $1 million dollar insurance with Austin Peay listed as additionally insured.
- APSU students and employees receive a 20% discount on personal rentals.
- Events requiring security in accordance with the Police Staffing Matrix will incur charges for this service.
- Due to NCAA regulations, basketball (men's grades 7-12, women's grades 9-12) and football (grades 7-12) events may be restricted and/or prohibited.
Approximately two weeks prior to the expiration date, notices will be posted in lockers and around the facility. In order to keep your locker location and combination, rentals must be renewed before the deadline each semester.
Rentals expire at the end of each semester to coincide with the academic calendar.
Daily lockers that are not emptied by the close of business hours will be cleared
by our staff. Items left behind will be placed in lost and found and held for two
When semester rentals are not renewed in accordance with established deadlines, lockers are emptied. Items left behind are placed in a bag and labeled. Belongings may be claimed within 30 days after being cleaned out at the Foy Fitness & Recreation Center service desk. After 30 days, expired locker contents will be donated to a local charity.
The Foy Fitness and Recreation Center features a 26-foot wall with 8 top rope anchors and 2 auto-belays. At any given time there are 14-20 routes geared toward the first time climber or the seasoned veteran. We also have a 12-foot free-standing boulder to give that extra challenge without roping up.
No experience, no problem. Our staff is available during open hours to assist those new to climbing. New climbers are briefed on rules, safety measures, and equipment during an orientation from one of our well-trained staff.
All participants must complete the required forms at the Climbing Wall desk.
Named in honor of Andrew "Drew" Simmons, the late Director of Intramural Recreation, the hub for fitness activities is the 10,000 square foot fitness center. This state-of-the-art space features:
In order to minimize the risk of disease transmission as well as extend the life of our equipment, participants in the fitness center are required to abide by the following:
- Heavy materials, such as denim, khaki, canvas and military fatigues are prohibited.
- Garments with metal rivets, buttons, belts, or exposed zippers are prohibited.
- Closed-toe, athletic, fitness shoes are required. Athletic sandals, hiking boots, and water footwear are inappropriate for this area.
This list is not all-inclusive; for a more detailed description of requirements, see the University Recreation dress code.
Bags and Possessions Policy
To help prevent equipment theft and tripping hazards, personal items such as gym bags, duffle bags, backpacks, drawstring bags, etc. MUST be placed in lockers or cubbies. Free daily locker rentals are available at the equipment checkout desk. Lockers can also be rented semesterly for a small fee. Cubbies are located at the front of the fitness area.
- Patron requests equipment at the Equipment Checkout Desk while presenting a valid APSU ID card to the staff.
- The patron signs the form, agreeing return the equipment before the close of business and to pay repair/replacement costs should anything happen to the equipment while in the participant's care.
- Equipment shall be returned before the close of business each day.
- Payment for late, repair or replacement fees may be made at the Foy Fitness & Recreation Center service desk.
rackets & birdies
men's & women's
boards & bean bags
hybrid ($5 each/day)
|cycling seat pads||dodgeballs||climbing
harness, shoes, helmet
|heart rate monitors||kick balls||racquetball
racquets, balls, goggles
flip & electronic
mitts, balls, bases
rackets & balls
balls, outdoor kits
|wrist straps||wally ball
balls & nets
What happens if equipment is turned in late, damaged or not at all?
Unless prior arrangements have been made and noted appropriately on the Equipment Checkout form, a late fee of $3 per day may be assessed.
A patron may be charged the cost of repair (labor and materials as applicable) plus an amount for to cover the administrative time in securing the repairs.
A patron may be charged the replacement cost for the equipment, including shipping and administrative time for ordering and processing.
Consequences for non-payment
Failure to pay assessed late/repair/replacement fees may result in a hold being placed on the patron's APSU account. A hold may affect registration, validation and requests for transcripts. Additionally, University Recreation access may be suspended or revoked.
Stop by to play a pick-up game! When not scheduled for other activities, gym courts and racquetball courts are open for informal recreation.
Valid University Recreation patrons may access facilities and services with their APSU or Foy Center ID. Patrons are encouraged to scan the barcode on the rear of their APSU ID at the turnstiles, which will grant them access as long as their membership is valid. Patrons are asked to enter through the front to assist with our secure operations. Doors labeled as emergency exits will sound an alarm when opened without permission.
University Recreation reserves the right to refuse access to anyone found assisting in unauthorized access or breaking university and/or department policies.
In all University Recreation facilities, in order to help maintain a friendly, safe and respectful environment, participants are required to abide by the following:
- Participants must wear appropriate attire at all times, that is not offensive, suggestive or overly revealing.
- Patrons must wear a shirt covering the navel at all times (excluding the pool).
- Participants must wear closed-toe, closed-heel shoes at all times.
- When wearing recreation pinnies, a t-shirt with sleeves is required.
- Additional discretion of clothing appropriateness is subject to University Recreation staff.
For personal health and safety, members are strongly encouraged to abide by the following guidelines:
- Back, midriff, sides are completely covered.
- Shorts at least mid-thigh in length.
- Use a towel to cover surfaces that make contact with the skin.
- Wipe any surfaces off before and after using equipment.
In order to minimize the risk of disease transmission as well as extend the life of fitness equipment, participants in the fitness center are required to abide by the following:
- A shirt that covers the mid-riff/navel must be worn at all times.
- Heavy materials, such as denim, khaki, canvas and military fatigues, are prohibited.
- Garments with metal rivets, buttons, belts, or exposed zippers are prohibited.
- Closed-toe, closed-heel, athletic fitness shoes are required. Sandals, hiking boots and water footwear are prohibited.
Gym & Racquetball Courts:
In order to protect the high quality wood floors on the gymnasium and racquetball courts, participants are required to abide by the following:
- Participants must wear non-marking shoes. Hiking boots, water footwear are inappropriate for these areas.
- Closed-toe, closed-heel shoes and shirts covering the navel must be worn at all times.
Group Fitness Classes
- Dress code parameters may be adjusted to accommodate certain class formats. For example, bare feet or stocking feet are permissible in mind-body classes (i.e., yoga and Pilates) and some dance classes, such as belly dance.
While some dance formats lend themselves to high heels or hard soled shoes, these cause excessive wear, possibly even damage, to the wood floors and are therefore prohibited.