Why Study Peer Leadership
The Peer Leadership Certificate exists to support the growth and development of student’s ability to positively influence colleagues as well as immerse them into a hands-on learning experience that strengthens leadership skills and builds valuable networking skills in their communities.
As part of the experience, students can engage in assisting instructors lead freshmen seminar classes and will have the opportunity to earn an International Peer Educator Training Program Certification from the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). This certification is offered on three levels, and is a life time certification.
Students who seek to foster their leadership, communication, and team-building skills are encouraged to add the Peer Leader Undergraduate Certificate to their academic program at APSU. They will be given the opportunity to identify strengths and apply those strengths to mentor and lead peers.
APSU’s Peer Leadership classes are taught by higher education professionals who bring unique expertise and practical experience regarding leadership, governance, and supporting organizations.
What Will I Learn
- Identify and implement individual strengths through the Clifton Strengths Assessment
- Demonstrate group facilitation skills and group dynamics
- Facilitate individual and group discussions
- Effectively build relationships with supervisors
- Learn and implement different leadership styles
- Utilize strengths while working as a group to create and implement a service project
- The value of effective communication and listening skills in building relationships