President's Emerging Leaders Program
The purpose of PELP is to prepare students at APSU for a lifetime of leadership.
Students in the President's Emerging Leaders Program (PELP) exemplify the vision and values of Austin Peay State University and our program by striving for academic excellence and putting service above self. PELP students receive an annual scholarship of $3,000, which is renewable for a four-year period.
Students in PELP have multiple mentorship opportunities beginning with a sophomore mentor who is assigned to each incoming freshman. During their sophomore year, PELP students are assigned an alumnus/a of the university who is active in the community and will help the student with career advice among other topics. PELP students have multiple opportunities to engage with alumni in a variety of fields throughout their four years at APSU. We are here to help you grow into the best leader you can be!
- PELP students must maintain a cumulative collegiate GPA of at least 3.50.
- They must enroll in at least 12 credit hours per semester.
- They must take and pass the required PELP course each semester.
- PELP students are required to perform 40 hours of community service each academic year.
Students may be asked to participate in other university or community events.
PELP focuses on:
- Learning about the "tools" of leadership (communication techniques, problem-solving skills, conflict resolution, etc.)
- Learning about leadership styles from campus and community leaders
- Community service. PELP students are required to perform 40 hours of community service each academic year.
- Applying leadership skills in real-life situations on and off campus
- Improving leadership skills by understanding personal and group strengths and weaknesses
- Learning about the essential connections between ethics and leadership
- Broadening perspectives by viewing the demands for leadership in local and global contexts
- Understanding the workings of government at the local, state, and national level
Apply now to be a part of the President's Emerging Leaders Program!
Mission Vision Values
The President's Emerging Leaders Program provides a select group of students a tool-kit for developing their inherent leadership qualities. Through mentoring, networking, and acquiring the skills necessary to navigate the seas of leadership, PELP students prepare to engage with organizations large and small.
PELP will send into the global community a diverse cohort of young leaders who are focused on helping others achieve their goals, and who are prepared to undertake difficult and unpredictable challenges.
- Ethical behavior
- Commitment to service
- Character development