APSU - VA Veteran Readiness & Employment Books & Supplies Policy
Am I approved to purchase books and supplies at the APSU Bookstore under VA Veteran Readiness & Employment, Chapter 31?
Our office and the APSU Bookstore must have a current (not expired) VA Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status (VA authorizations) from your VR&E counselor on file. To view your individual requirements or to confirm your registration, see the following links:
- First-Time VR&E students at APSU (click on the link for your requirements)
- Current VR&E students (click on the link for your requirements)
- For VA assistance confirming your registration, please see: VA Fee Deferment
- Note: The courses for which you are purchasing books and supplies must be required courses.
**If you choose to start courses prior to approval of your program of study with your assigned VR&E counselor, our office will not be able to certify courses and the APSU Bookstore will not allow you to purchase books/supplies until your VR&E counselor submits the VA authorizations to both parties. In this situation, our office recommends that you only enroll in required General Education Core courses until your program of study is finalized. You will be responsible for charges (tuition/fees, books, etc.) associated with courses that are deemed excessive (not required for your program of study).
Purchasing Deadlines—Books and Supplies must be purchased at the APSU Bookstore within the published dates for each term.
NOTE: Our office understands that situations may arise where purchases are needed to be made after the published dates. Exceptions may be approved by our office if you provide documentation from your instructor regarding the new required supplies or a memorandum from your VA VR&E counselor.
What does VA Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) pay for?
VA VR&E will reimburse APSU for tuition/fees, textbooks and required supplies.
- Current tuition/fees for required courses
- Required textbooks - purchases that exceed the $1,000 limit must have written documentation from the VR&E counselor
- Routine supplies—maximum $50 per term
- Other necessary school expenses for required courses such as professional exams, uniform fees, tutoring, and graduation fees.
- Additional requirements for certified courses that are not textbooks or routine supplies will not be allowed unless prior approval from your VR&E counselor is received by our office.
Examples of acceptable purchases other than textbooks/routine supplies that require documentation for prior approval:
- One-time purchase of a scientific calculator—you must provide a copy of your Math course syllabus to the APSU Bookstore at time of purchase; the amount of the calculator will be charged to your VR&E book debit account.
- One-time purchase of a book bag—your VR&E counselor must provide a memorandum to our office that authorizes this purchase.
- Uniforms (for example: Nursing students)—your VR&E counselor must provide a memorandum to our office that authorizes this purchase.
- Required supplies that exceed the maximum $50 (like Art studio supplies)—your VR&E counselor must provide a memorandum to our office that authorizes these purchases. You must provide a copy of the syllabus outlining the specific supplies.