Physics, Engineering and Astronomy
- Sundquist Science Complex Room SSC B312
“Helping students learn what they need in order to be successful post graduation is one of the most exciting parts of my job.”
Dr. Oelgoetz on what he enjoys about being part of the Austin Peay community
- Ph.D. in Chemical Physics - Ohio State University
- B.S. in Chemistry - Florida State University
Dr. Oelgoetz joined APSU in 2008. He graduated with a B.S. in Chemistry in 1998 from Florida State University in Tallahassee Florida before entering the Chemical Physics Ph.D. program at Ohio State University. At Ohio State his research and dissertation work focused on the way hot astrophysical plasmas interact with light, modeling the X-ray emissions of energetic events including solar flares and material falling into black holes. After graduating from Ohio State in 2006, Dr. Oelgoetz worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, NM. There he continued to work on the interaction of light and matter, for astrophysical and national security applications.
Since coming to Austin Peay Dr. Oelgoetz has branched out, working on problems in the spectroscopy of amorphous solids. His work focuses on using supercomputers to model the way various amorphous solids interact with (absorb, emit, and scatter) light. He also serves as the faculty mentor for APSU's student run high altitude balloon group and the APSU point of contact (APSU PI) for NASA Spacegrant.
- Spectroscopy (both materials and plasmas)
- Structure of amorphous solids
- Application of high performance computing to problems in science (and other fields)
- Application of microprocessors and microcontrollers to scientific experiments
- ``High Altitude Ballooning using Amateur Equipment: A Primer,'' M. McCracken, D. Critchlow, Z. Hill, M. Sencabaugh, J. Robertson, B. Gaither, J. Oelgoetz, in Celebrating the 2017 Great American Eclipse: Lessons Learned from the Path of Totality, S. Buxner and L. Shore, editors, The Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series 516:491-499, 2019 (A digital copy of the article can be found here)
- ``Eclipse at Austin Peay State University: Lessons Learned,'' J. A. Smith, S. L. Buckner, B. Gaither, D. L. Sudbrink Jr., C. Pugh, A. Wright, K. Meisch, K. Bailey, J. Oelgoetz, in Celebrating the 2017 Great American Eclipse: Lessons Learned from the Path of Totality, S. Buxner and L. Shore, editors, The Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series 516:53-58, 2019 (A digital copy of the article can be found here)
- ``Chemical order in Ga or Sb modified germanium sulfide glasses around stoichiometry: High-resolution XPS and Raman studies,'' R. Golovchak, V. Nazabal, B. Bureau, J. Oelgoetz, A. Kovalskiy, H. Jain, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 499:237-244, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2018.07.040
- ``Photoresponse of inorganic-organic thin film composites based on chalcogenide glasses,'' M. White, J. Allen, R. Golovchak, J. Oelgoetz, O. Shpotyuk, K. Palka, S. Slang, M. Vlcek, AIP Conference Proceedings 1981, 020030, 2018, doi:10.1063/1.5045892
- "Structural origin of surface transformations in arsenic sulfide thin films upon UV-irradiation," A. Kovalskiy, M. Vlcek, K. Palka, J. Buzek, J. York-Winegar, J. Oelgoetz, R. Golovchak, O. Shpotyuk, H. Jain, 2017, Applied Surface Science 394:604–612, doi:10.1016/j.apsusc.2016.10.002
- "Structural characterisation of tin fluorophosphate glasses doped with Er2O3," J. Trimble, R. Golovchak, J. Oelgoetz, C. Brennan, A. Kovalskiy, 2016, Physics and Chemistry of Glasses - European Journal of Glass Science and Technology Part B, 57:27-31, doi:10.13036/17533562.57.1.069.
- "Medium range order and structural relaxation in As-Se network glasses through FSDP analysis," R. Golovchak, P. Lucas, J. Oelgoetz, A. Kovalskiy, J. York-Winegar, Ch. Saiyasombat, O. Shpotyuk, M. Feygenson, J. Neuefeind, H. Jain, 2015, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 153:432-442, doi:10.1016/j.matchemphys.2015.01.037.
- "Complex structural rearrangements in As-Se glasses," R. Golovchak, J. Oelgoetz, M. Vlcek, A. Esposito, A. Saiter, J.-M. Saiter, H. Jain, 2014, The Journal of Chemical Physics, 140:054505, doi:10.1063/1.4863561
- "Structure of SnF2-SnO-P2O5 Glasses," J. York-Winegar, T. Harper, C. Brennan, J. Oelgoetz, A. Kovalskiy, 2013, Physics Procedia, 44:159-165, doi:10.1016/j.phpro.2013.04.020
- "The reduced detailed configuration accounting (RDCA) model for NLTE plasma spectral calculations", J. Abdallah, Jr, M. E. Sherrill, D. P. Kilcrease, C. J. Fontes, H. L. Zhang, J. Oelgoetz, 2009, High Energy Density Physics, 5:204-207, doi:10.1016/j.hedp.2009.05.006
- "Recombination Rate Coefficients for KLL Di-electronic Satellite Lines of Fe XXV and Ni XXVII", S. N. Nahar, J. Oelgoetz, A. K. Pradhan, 2009, Physica Scripta, 79:055301 doi:10.1088/0031-8949/79/05/055301 (arXiv, OSU)
- "On the importance of satellite lines to the He-like K ALPHA complex and the G ratio for calcium, iron, and nickel", J. Oelgoetz, C. J. Fontes, H. L. Zhang, S. N. Nahar, A. K. Pradhan, 2009, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 394:742–750, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2008.14248.x (arXiv)
- "Recombination rates, Resonance Strengths and Line Profiles of Dielectronic Satellite Lines of He-like Ca, Fe, Ni", S. N. Nahar, J. Oelgoetz, A. K. Pradhan, 2009, in "New Quests in Stellar Astrophysics II", Springer New York, (pp. 1–4). doi:10.1007/978-0-387-87621-4_35 (OSU)
- "A study of the breakdown of the quasi-static approximation at high densities and its effect on the helium-like K ALPHA complex of nickel, iron, and calcium", J. Oelgoetz, C. J. Fontes, H. L. Zhang, A. K. Pradhan, 2007, Physical Review A, 76:062504 doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.76.062504 (arXiv)
- "High-temperature behaviour of the helium-like K ALPHA G ratio: the effect of improved recombination rate coefficients for calcium, iron, and nickel," J. Oelgoetz, C. J. Fontes, H. L. Zhang, M. Montenegro, S. N. Nahar, A. K. Pradhan, 2007, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 382:761-769, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2007.12410.x (arXiv)
- "The 6.7 keV KALPHA complex of He-like iron in transient plasmas" J. Oelgoetz, A. K. Pradhan, 2004, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 354, p 1093-1102, 10.1111/j.1365-2966.2004.08269.x (arXiv)
- "X-ray absorption via K-alpha resonance complexes in oxygen ions" A. K. Pradhan, G. X. Chen, F. Delahaye, S. N. Nahar, J Oelgoetz, 2003, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 341:1268–1271, 10.1046/j.1365-8711.2003.06513.x (arXiv)
- "X-Ray Resonance Opacity of Oxygen and Iron in AGN MCG--6-30-15", A. K. Pradhan, G. X. Chen, F. Delahaye, S. N. Nahar, J. Oelgoetz, 2002, arXiv:astro-ph/0204116v2, (arXiv)
- "The K-alpha complex of He-like iron with dielectronic satellites", J. Oelgoetz, A. K. Pradhan, 2001, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 327:L42–L46 10.1046/j.1365-8711.2001.04980.x (arXiv)