Coordinators - Dr. Jessica Hatz & Dr. Kevin Harris
The objective of the program is to provide the student with a firm foundation in basic psychological science. This includes knowledge of basic content areas, as well as the skills fundamental to all areas of psychology. The Department of Psychological Science and Counseling has adopted the APA undergraduate psychology major learning goals and outcomes which cover:
- Knowledge base of psychology;
- Research methods in psychology;
- Critical thinking skills in psychology;
- Application of psychology;
- Values in psychology;
- Information and technological literacy;
- Communication skills;
- Sociocultural and international awareness;
- Personal development and career planning and development.
A student completing the major in psychology should be able to
- Conduct a search of psychological literature;
- Read and understand journal articles;
- Evaluate hypotheses or theories on the basis of empirical data;
- Design and conduct a research study; and
- Write a paper following APA style.
A variety of online resources are available to help students navigate the major:
- Psychological Science Major Requirements 2013-2016
- Psychology Major Requirements 2013-2014
- Psychology Major Worksheet in PDF: PSYMAJOR.pdf and Excel: PSYMAJOR.xlsx
- Psychology Major Requirements 2012-2013.pdf
- Psychology Program of Study
- Requirements for Minor in Psychology
- Course Descriptions
- Gen Ed Core Requirements (2013-2014)
*For students who entered the B.A. or B.S. in Psychology prior to 2010, please check the corresponding undergraduate bulletin (http://www.apsu.edu/registrar/bulletins).
- APSU Schedule of Classes
- Tentative 2 year Course Offerings 2015-2017.pdf
- Tentative 2 year Course Offerings 2014-2016.pdf
- 4 year Program of Study.pdf
- Want to finish in 3 years? Try our Accelerated 3 year Program of Study.pdf
- How to Get Involved in the Department of Psychological Science and Counseling
- Careers in Psychology
- Thinking about graduate school? Use our Course Planning Guide.pdf to help prepare for your chosen sub field of psychology!
E-tuition rate cuts costs in half for out-of-state online students. Click here for details.