This program includes 34 hours (offered exclusively online) and may be completed in less than two years. The program was developed in accordance with SIOP's Guidelines for Education and Training at the Master's Level in Industrial-Organizational Psychology.
Through the MSIO program, you will:
- learn about the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of psychology-based organizational interventions;
- analyze research, thereby enhancing your ability to accurately assess, interpret, and apply science and data-driven I-O practices to organizational needs; and
- be competitive for master's level "I-O psychology practitioner” positions in business, industry, or government.
Foundation Courses (10 hours)
- PSY 5000 Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology (3)
- PSY 5270 Foundations of Applied Psychology (3)
- PSY 5501 Orientation to Industrial-Organizational Psychology (1)
- PSY 5575 Applied Measurement in I-O Psychology (3)
Core Courses (18 hours)
- PSY 5510 Performance Management (3)
- PSY 5520 Personnel Assessment and Selection (3)
- PSY 5540 Training and Development (3)
- PSY 5550 Leadership and Organizational Change (3)
- PSY 5560 Organizational Psychology (3)
- PSY 5580 Personnel Psychology (3)
All students, regardless of when you were admitted into the program, must complete the courses listed above (28 credit hours). All students must also complete one of the additional requirements below, depending on the year you were admitted to reach 34 credit hours.
If you were admitted to the program prior to Fall 2010, you must also complete the requirements listed below: “A. Students admitted before Fall 2010 ONLY.” If you were admitted in Fall 2010 or later, you must also complete the requirements listed below: “B. Students admitted Fall 2010 or later.”
A. Students Admitted before Fall 2010 ONLY
- PSY 5950 Research Paper (3) and One Approved Elective (3)
- PSY 5960 Applied Research Paper (3) and One Approved Elective (3)
- PSY 5990 Thesis (6)
B. Students Admitted Fall 2010 or Later
- Two Approved Electives* (6) and Comprehensive Exam (No Credit; contact advisor for scheduling)
- PSY 5990 Thesis (6)**
Students following not completing a thesis will have to take 3 to 6 elective hours (1-2 courses) to reach 34 credits. You may choose to take one of the elective courses offered online in the MSIO program or relevant courses from other APSU Master's programs (online or on-ground), depending on availability. Specific courses must be approved by your MSIO advisor or the program coordinator. Your advisor can also offer suggestions to help you choose relevant electives.
- PSY 5030 Cross-Cultural I-O Psychology (3)
- PSY 6030 Occupational Health Psychology (3)
- PSY 5730 Internship in Industrial-Organizational Psychology (3 + onsite internship hours)