This Concentration in Secondary Science is an advanced degree appropriate for those seeking teaching licensure who have completed prerequisite science courses in their undergraduate degree program. This program will equip teachers to become proficient leaders in science education and is aligned with the national frameworks for science education.
Sample Course Plan
What opportunities are available with this degree?
Shortages of qualified science teachers in Tennessee and across the nation have been recognized for decades. The demand for effective teachers of science across all grade levels is expected to increase over the next 10 years.
The M.A.T. Concentration in Secondary Science will equip teachers to become more proficient leaders in implementing the National Framework for K-12 Science Education.
Benefits of obtaining a M.A.T. in Secondary Science:
- Improve your science content knowledge with engaging activity-based learning
- Become proficient in using research-based, best pedagogical practices
- Learn to integrate the disciplines for a rich, effective student experiences
- Develop the skills to become a leader of science education
- Obtain a job in a high-needs area of education
- Transition into positions of STEM coaches at
local or state levels
- Become a effective classroom teacher
- Transition into positions as Science Curriculum
Coordinators at local or state levels