Why Study Choral Conducting
Students who wish to develop their potential as future conductors will benefit from the rich training and the myriad of opportunities offered at APSU.
The Choral Conducting graduate program at Austin Peay will provide you with an individualized course of study, personalized mentoring by nationally-recognized faculty, tons of podium time and feedback, and small classes that allow for exceptional learning opportunities. Some students choose this specialization to hone their skills as teachers and conductors, while others aim to prepare for doctoral study in conducting.
Austin Peay's applied faculty and ensemble directors are second to none. Our department is host to world-class performers including leading opera singers, premier soloists, symphony musicians, Nashville's top recording studio session players, chamber musicians, and world-renowned clinicians. Our ensemble directors have established a tradition of excellence in vocal ensembles and opera productions. And all Music Department faculty are committed to serving our students as educators and mentors.
What Will I Learn
- Professional Effectiveness and Suitability
- Students will demonstrate mastery of content and skills suitable to the area of specialization with graduate level technique and artistry.
- Speaking About Music: Students will speak about music at a professional level suitable to the area of specialization.
- Writing About Music: Students will write about music at a professional level suitable to the area of specialization.
- Research Methods: Students will apply appropriate research methods to explore topics within their chosen concentrations.
- Using Professional Resources: Students will independently locate and use appropriate resources to advance knowledge within a chosen research topic.
- Synthesis: Students will synthesize a broad range of knowledge at a level suitable to the area of specialization