The Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree in Educational Leadership at Austin Peay State University (APSU) focuses on providing skills to a variety of leaders in public and private education at both the K-12 and higher education levels.
The doctoral program in Educational Leadership: Higher Education Administration aims to enhance the knowledge and competencies of leaders so they may provide optimal conditions for the education of adult learners in higher education settings. The program is designed to enhance intellectual understanding of leadership theory and policy, deepen leadership capacity, and position leaders for elevated organizational responsibility.
The objectives of the Ed.D. are to prepare leaders who:
- are inquiring, reflective practitioners;
- are competent in identifying and solving complex problems;
- understand the multitude of leadership and organizational theories and techniques related to their professional settings;
- value, encourage, and facilitate the professional development of self and others in their organization;
- demonstrate effective communication skills in both school and non-school setting;
- value, understand, and support diversity in their organizations;
- make contributions to the profession;
- make data-driven decisions; and
- facilitate group processes to resolve conflict.
Ed.D. Program Specifics
The Ed.D. program length is 60 semester credit hours beyond a master's degree:
- leadership theory and practice (12 credit hours),
- organizational analysis (9 credit hours),
- analysis of educational policy (6 credit hours),
- research and statistics (12 credit hours),
- higher education administration electives (9 credit hours), and
- dissertation work (12 credit hours)
Organizations and Honor Societies
- The Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate consortium helps prepare "educators for the application of appropriate and specific practices, the generation of new knowledge, and for the stewardship of the profession."
- The AACTE Holmes Program "supports students who self-identify as racially and ethnically diverse and are pursuing graduate degrees in education."
What opportunities are available with this degree?
- University President/Vice President
- College Dean
- University Director
- Leadership at the State level
- University Provost/Vice Provost
- Program Coordinator
- College Department Chair
- Non-Profit Organizational Leadership