Community School of the Arts adds four classes, workshops to fall offerings
(Posted Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021)
The Community School of the Arts (CSA) at Austin Peay State University has unveiled its fall class slate, including four new offerings – beginning ceramics, monthly figure drawing sessions and in-person and virtual creative writing classes.
CSA also is adding two new instructors – Amalia Wills and Mikhaila Ferguson. Wills will teach beginning ceramics, and Ferguson will teach creative movement for children ages 3-5 years old.
Here’s a rundown of the new offerings (click on the links for more information):
- Beginning Ceramics: This class meets 6-8 p.m. every Monday from Sept. 20-Nov. 15. The class – open to
those 16 or older – will cover the basics of making pottery on the wheel, and potters
will take home their own set of handmade dishes. The cost, $120 for the entire eight
weeks, includes materials.
- Figure Drawing Sessions: These sessions – taught by esteemed local artist Kell Black – will meet from 1-4 p.m. on Sept. 25, Oct. 23 and Nov. 13. Artists will draw the nude figure in a series of short and long poses. The cost is $20 per session or $45 for all three sessions and is open to those 18 years or older.
- Creative Writing Basics: This class will be in two formats – virtual from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays from Sept. 21-Nov. 16 and in-person from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Thursdays from Sept. 23-Nov. 18. The classes – taught by Shana Thornton (virtual) and Joanna Grisham (in-person) and open to those 15 or older – will help writers engage in writing for art and personal expression (by creating character, building plot and enhancing description). The cost is $50 for the entire eight weeks.
Here are the CSA’s returning classes. Click on the links for information. The costs are for the entire series of classes. No classes are scheduled during Fall Break, Oct. 11-16.
- Art for Children-Part 1 – For ages 6-11, 4:30-6 p.m. Mondays from Sept. 20-Nov. 15. $85 cost includes materials.
- Art for Children-Part 2 – For ages 6-11, 4:30-6 p.m. Tuesdays from Sept. 21-Nov. 16. $85 cost includes materials.
- Art for Teens – For ages 12-17, 6:15-7:45 p.m. Tuesdays from Sept. 21-Nov. 16. $85 cost includes materials.
- Mixed Media Painting – For ages 13-adult, 7:15-8:45 p.m. Thursdays from Sept. 23-Nov. 18. $100 cost includes materials.
- Jazz All Levels – For ages 8-adult, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays from Sept. 21-Nov. 2. $30.
- Dance Combo/Ballet, Tap & Jazz – For ages 5-7, 5:15-6:15 p.m. Tuesdays from Sept. 21-Nov. 2. $40.
- Contemporary Dance – For ages 10-adult, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Mondays from Sept. 20-Nov. 1. $30.
- Creative Movement – For ages 3-5, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Thursdays from Sept. 30-Oct. 28. $25.
Drawing and Ballet I already are full, but those who are interested can join waitlists for each class.
Classes begin Sept. 20, and the registration deadline is Sept. 15.
News FeedView All News
Austin Peay State University's Winter Term, which runs from Dec. 11-Jan. 9, allows students to complete up to two online classes in just four weeks.Read More
Several interesting events are planned throughout campus this week, from events celebrating pride and disability awareness to recognizing the monsters under our tables.Read More
You may have seen his picture. He struck Superman pose during the Govs Color Run celebration. The photo graced the Austin Peay homepage for several days.Read More