Course Requirements for Application Eligibility
The prerequisite for pursuing the M.S. in Industrial-Organizational Psychology (MSIO) degree is 12 hours in psychology or a related field of study. The following is a sample of coursework to be considered:
- Introduction to I-O Psychology (APSU students: PSY 4500)*
- Research Methods*
- General Psychology*
- Social Psychology
- Group Dynamics
- Human Factors
- Occupational Health Psychology
- Cross-cultural Psychology
- Learning and Motivation
- Additional psychology coursework
Relevant courses from allied fields (management, public administration, sociology, etc.) may be counted toward this 12 hour requirement.
Those who have relevant and recent work experience may contact the program coordinator to see if any consideration toward this requirement would be possible.
All students applying for graduate programs at Austin Peay State University must apply
directly to the College of Graduate Studies and indicate the program of interest.
Admission to the College of Graduate Studies requires a minimum GRE Verbal score of
350 (equivalent to the newer score of 143), a minimum GRE Quantitative score of 350
(equivalent to a newer score of 138), and a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5. However,
meeting minimum admission standards does not ensure that an applicant will be offered
admission into the MSIO Program.
Admission to the MSIO Program is competitive and selective. Applicants who are admitted typically have a GPA of 3.0 or above and/or GRE scores that exceed the minimum scores required for admission to the College of Graduate Studies. A variety of factors are taken into account in MSIO admissions, including all submitted materials and the number of available openings in the program.
Priority admission consideration will be given to applicants who meet admission requirements and submit complete files prior to the priority deadline. The priority deadline is March 1st for Fall admissions and November 1st for Spring admissions. Late applications will be considered based upon available openings. Upon review of applicant materials, admission decisions will be made until July 31st for Fall enrollment and until December 31st for Spring enrollment. Applicants to the MSIO program must be formally admitted to the program prior to enrollment in graduate classes.
Please submit the following application materials directly to the APSU College of Graduate Studies Office:
- Official Transcripts
- APSU Application for Graduate Admission
- Official GRE Scores
- If your official GRE scores are not available by the priority deadline, you may submit your unofficial GRE scores for consideration by filling out the Unofficial GRE Score Reporting Form found here.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (request forms may be accessed here)
- Undergraduate faculty who instructed you and can verify your academic ability should complete your recommendation forms. If you are pursing the master's degree after a long gap in education, a letter of recommendation from a work supervisor/professional who can comment on your potential to successfully complete graduate education may be submitted.
- Brief Personal Statement that addresses the following (1-2 pages max):
- Why you are interested in the field of I-O Psychology
- Why you are interested in our program
- Relevant courses taken at the undergraduate or graduate level (especially readiness in terms of social science research methods and statistics)
- Relevant research or work experience
- Additional information that demonstrates your commitment to completing the degree program
- All application forms needed during the application process can be found at the College of Graduate Studies' forms page.
International Student Admission
The MSIO Program is unable to accept international students at this time. For more information on international student admissions and available programs at APSU, please visit: Graduate Education for International Students.