Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
Welcome to the home page of the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. If you are a prospective student, the links at the left will provide you with much of the information that you need. We welcome on-line, transfer, and second-degree students. If you need more information, please contact our office at 931-221-7840 or email Bruce Myers, the Chair of the Department.
CSIT Students: Please register for Summer and Fall 2014 classes
New Networking Concentration will be offered in Fall 2014
Please refer to the New B.S. Information Sheet for details.
The Best jobs of 2014 according to U.S. News and World Report rankings
#1 Software Developer
#2 Computer Systems Analyst
#9 Web Developer
#11 Information Security Analyst
#12 Database Administrator
Very good showing for computing !
Need Help for Programming Assignments?
Check out the Programming Tutoring Services page (under Opportunities/Resources).
Congratulations / Conferences / Publications:
- Congratulations to ACM officers for all the hard work they have done this year. ACM organization has been nominated for a Student Organization Award. These awardswill be presented during the annual Student Organization and Leader Awards program: April 16, 2014, 6pm, Morgan University Center Ballroom. Dr. Nicholas Coleman is the ACM student organization sponsor.
- Dr. John Nicholson attended the 2014 SIGCSE conference (March 2014) in Atlanta, GA where he presented two assignments the “Image Stacker” and “The Pesky Tourist” on the Nifty Assignments Panel.
- The Computer Science Dept had two students who were accepted to present at the 2014 National Conferences on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, April 3-5, 2014. A total of 7 APSU students were accepted to present at the conference. Congratulations to...
- Student: Donald Buhl-Brown; Advisor: Dr. John Nicholson.
- Student: William Rich; Advisor: Dr. Jiang Li.
- Dr. Bruce Myers, chair of APSU Department of Computer Science and Information Technology and the 2013 APSU National Alumni Association Distinguished Professor Award recipient, delivered the commencement address at the APSU 2013 Winter Commencement Ceremony to about 840 APSU graduates. This is the largest winter commencement ceremony in the University's history.
- Prof. Nancy Smithfield attended the Southeast Women in Computing Conference 2013, Nov 15-17, Lake Guntersville State Park, Alabama; with the following students from our department:
- Dalene Hart, Chantel Hart, Bonnie Taylor, Andrea Keeton, Katrina Stroughter and Mary Olive.
- Bonnie Taylor presented poster “JKonference: A Mobile Solution for the Business Person on the Go” at the conference.
- Prof. Smithfield served as Judge at the Poster Presentation.
- Dr. Elarde, Dr. Lee, and Dr. Nicholson attended the ACM Mid-Southeast Fall 2013 Conference, Nov 14-15, Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
- Dr. Leong Lee served as Session Chair and Judge at the Doctoral Degree Presentations session.
- Dr. John Nicholson served as Session Chair and Judge at the Undergraduate 4-year Presentations session.
- Dr. Joseph Elarde presented research findings titled “Simultaneous Multi-Threading Capacity Planning Implications” at the Professional Presentations session.
- Dr. Leong Lee presented research findings titled “Data Mining for Hydraulic Geometry” (joint research with Dr. Gregory S. Ridenour of Dept. of Geosciences) at the Professional Presentations session.
- Congratulations to the 3 teams that participated in the Mid-Central Regional ACM Programming Contest 2013! This region covers the states of Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. The regional contest takes place at multiple sites across these states. Our teams participated at the Tennessee Tech site in Cookville, TN.
- Team "Two and a Half Vegans" (Donald Buhl-Brown, William Rich, and Michael Walker) solved 4 of 8 problems, placed 6th out of 24 teams at the site and 44th out of 139 teams in the Mid-Central region.
- Team "FutuRAMa" (Stephen Schuetrumpf, Lacey Williams, and Dylan Wood) solved 3 problems and placed 14th at the site and 84th in the region.
- Team "Monty Python's Flying Circuits" (Connor Bourne, Jacob Hilliard, and Brett Lee) solved 2 problems and placed 21st at the site and 120th in the region.
- All three teams were coached by Dr. Coleman.
- Lance Batson had an abstract accepted for presentation at the 2013 National Conference on Undergraduate Research.
- Dr. John Nicholson was named Exemplary Faculty Member of the Year 2013.
- Donald Buhl-Brown and Billy Rich were named 2013-14 Presidential Research Scholars.
- Congratulations! Honoring The Graduates, December 6, 2013
- We will honor the graduates at 1:00 PM on Friday, December 6, 2013. Venue: Claxton 306. We have an outstanding group of graduates. Congratulations for your achievements. It is not easy but you did it
- Graduate Reception, December 13, 2013
- The College of Science & Mathematics will be hosting a graduation reception in honor of our graduates immediately following the 10 AM commencement Friday, December 13, 2013. We hope you will bring your families and friends by the HSC Lab and introduce faculty and staff to them. You can enjoy some refreshments and miss the crowds at restaurants for lunch.
- Handicap parking is behind the Maynard building. Parking is also available at Ford and 9th street.
- Computer Science Education Week “Open House”, December 4, 2013
- Student poster-board presentations, project displays, a birthday cake celebration for computing pioneer Admiral Grace Hopper, free pizza, soft drinks, and prizes.
- Venue: new Maynard Mathematics and Computer Science Building (level 1 & 2 lobby).
- Contact Dr. Elarde at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information,
New Professional Science Master's Degree
The Department is proud to announce that a Professional Science Master's Degree with a concentration in Data Management and Analysis will be offered beginning in the Fall of 2013. Click here for information on this new program.
The department is part of the College of Science and Mathematics. Click here for news about our College.
For those who may not have kept up with us, here is a list of our faculty and staff.
- Dr. Nicholas Coleman, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Joseph Elarde, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Leong Lee, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Jiang Li, Professor
- Dr. Bruce Myers, Professor and Chair
- Dr. John A. Nicholson, Associate Professor
- Ms. Nancy Smithfield, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Yingbing Yu, Associate Professor
Dr. Jim Bateman, Professor Emeritus
- Dr. Jim Vandergriff, Professor Emeritus
- Mr. Calvin Bolander, Adjunct Faculty
- Dr. Gary Griffith, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Paul E. MacAfee, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Tony McCutcheon, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Stephen T. Paulk-McGinley, Adjunct Faculty
- Ms. Betty Leimer, Administrative Assistant II
For APSU computer science graduates who may see this page, please email us and let us know your current email address.