Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
Welcome to the home page of the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. If you are a prospective student, the links at the left will provide you with much of the information that you need. We welcome on-line, transfer, and second-degree students. If you need more information, please contact our office at 931-221-7840 or email Bruce Myers, the Chair of the Department.
Apply now to be considered for 2017-2018 APSU scholarships.
Deadline: March 1, 2017
Please click here to apply ... http://www.apsu.edu/scholarships
Event: Cybercrime and The Internet’s Future
Presenter: Supervisory Special Agent Scott Augenbaum, FBI
Registration: Email Dr. Elarde at firstname.lastname@example.org
When: October 19, 2016 starting at 3:30pm.
Where: SSC E106B
- 3:30pm – FREE Pizza and Soft drinks
- 4:00pm – Supervisory Special Agent Scott Augenbaum, FBI
- 4:45pm – Question and Answer Session
- 5:00pm – Dr. Myers – Information Security at APSU
- 5:15pm – Door prize drawing
Please click here for details...
APSU Fall Career Fair 2016
Oct 26, 10am-1pm, MUC Ballroom, please check out the Career Services website...
Fall 2016 Department of Computer Science & IT Events Calendar
Need help for programming assignments and software installation? Please check out the Computer Science Tutoring Services. FREE for all inclass and online students taking APSU classes.
A new concentration in Information Assurance and Security has recently been approved for the Computer Science and Quantitative Methods, Professional Science Master's Degree program. Please click here for more information...
Congratulations to Dr. Elarde, Mr. Bruster and Dr. Myers for all of their work on this project.
ComputerScience.org, ranked Austin Peay State University as one of the 50 Best Online Bachelor's Degrees in Computer Science in the nation for 2016. Please check out their website here.
Residents within 250 miles can get in-state tuition rates at APSU. The new offering reaches into Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia. Click here for details...
Please check out the Job Opportunities page...
Windows 10 ? a APSU Announcement
Congratulations / Conferences / Publications / Events :
A new concentration in Information Assurance and Security has recently been approved for the Computer Science and Quantitative Methods, Professional Science Master's Degree program. Congratulations to Dr. Elarde, Mr. Bruster and Dr. Myers for all of their work on this project.
Alexander D. Hornick, a computer science senior, accepted the REU in Los Angeles at the USC Institute for Creative Technologies. The Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), of the University of Southern California offers a 10-week summer research program for undergraduates in interactive virtual experiences. Alex will be working on the "Natural Language Dialog Processing for Virtual Humans" Project from May 31 - August 5th, 2016. Here's a link to the REU page: http://ict.usc.edu/reu/
- Dr. Chenchutta Jackson, Ms. Amy Hill, and Ms. LaTeesha Reaves attended the ACM-SEWIC (Southeastern Women in Computing) Conference held at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA November 13-15, 2015.
- The SEWIC conference brings together women from all areas of computer science. Women from the industry, academia, and research were there to present as well as encourage women in the field of technology to continue and pursue their dreams.
- While attending the conference Amy Hill presented “Building a Simulated Processor in the Classroom” during the undergraduate poster presentation. LaTeesha Reaves and Amy Hill did a fantastic job representing the University.
- We all took the opportunity to become acquainted with women from other universities at the southeastern region and attended valuable workshops held at the conference. Ms. Hill and Ms. Reaves also took the opportunity to network during the career fair.
- Dr. Chenchutta Jackson served as a judge for graduate student posters presented at the conference.
- Dr. Coleman, Mason Cordell, Dr. Elarde, Dr. Myers, Dr. Nicholson, and Dr. Lee attended the ACM Mid-Southeast Fall 2015 Conference, Nov 12-13, Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
- Dr. Elarde, Dr. Nicholson, and Dr. Lee served as Session Chairs and Judges at different undergraduate and graduate presentations sessions.
- Mason Cordell presented research findings titled "Building a Simulated Processor in the Classroom" by Mason Cordell, Joseph Cloutier, Amy Hill and Joseph Elarde, at the Undergraduate 4 Year Degree Presentations session.
- Dr. Nicholas Coleman presented research findings titled “Computer Science Education: A Systems Approach” at the Professional Presentations session.
- Dr. Joseph Elarde presented research findings titled “Processor Resource Utilization Measurements in Simultaneous Multi-Threading Configurations: Synthetic Benchmark Analysis” at the Professional Presentations session.
- Dr. Leong Lee presented research findings titled “Determining the Accuracy and Precision of Spatial Data through the Use of GPS-Enabled Mobile Devices” at the Professional Presentations session.
- APSU computer science program recognized on national list. ComputerScienceOnline.org, a leading resource for online learning in computer science and related fields, recently released its Best Online Computer Science Degrees list for 2015, and the organization ranked Austin Peay State University as one of the top 50 programs in the nation. Check out details here (APSU news).
The Best jobs of 2016 according to U.S. News and World Report rankings
#3 Computer Systems Analyst
#13 Software Developer
#20 Web Developer
Very good showing for computing !
The department is part of the College of Science and Mathematics. Click here for news about our College.
For those who may not have kept up with us, here is a list of our faculty and staff.
- Mr. Barry G. Bruster, Instructor
- Dr. Nicholas A. Coleman, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Joseph V. Elarde, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Chenchutta D. Jackson, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Leong Lee, Associate Professor
- Dr. Jiang Li, Professor
- Dr. Bruce Myers, Professor and Chair
- Dr. John A. Nicholson, Associate Professor
- Mrs. Nancy A. Smithfield, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Yingbing Yu, Professor
Dr. Jim Bateman, Professor Emeritus
- Dr. Jim Vandergriff, Professor Emeritus
- Mr. Calvin G. Bolander, Adjunct Faculty
- Dr. Gary L. Griffith, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Jason Hatton, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Paul E. MacAfee, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Antonio (Tony) L. McCutcheon, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Stephen T. Paulk-McGinley, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Aaron Taylor, Adjunct Faculty
- Mrs. Betty Leimer, Administrative Assistant II
For APSU computer science graduates who may see this page, please email us and let us know your current email address.