Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
Welcome to the home page of the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. If you are a prospective student, the links at the left will provide you with much of the information that you need. We welcome on-line, transfer, and second-degree students. If you need more information, please contact our office at 931-221-7840 or email Bruce Myers, the Chair of the Department.
Residents within 250 miles can get in-state tuition rates at APSU. The new offering reaches into Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia. Click here for details...
Need help for programming assignments and software installation? Please check out the Computer Science Tutoring Services. FREE for all inclass and online students taking APSU classes.
Please check out the Job Opportunities page...
Windows 10 ? a APSU Announcement
Congratulations / Conferences / Publications / Events :
- Dr. Chenchutta Jackson, Ms. Amy Hill, and Ms. LaTeesha Reaves attended the ACM-SEWIC (Southeastern Women in Computing) Conference held at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA November 13-15, 2015.
- The SEWIC conference brings together women from all areas of computer science. Women from the industry, academia, and research were there to present as well as encourage women in the field of technology to continue and pursue their dreams.
- While attending the conference Amy Hill presented “Building a Simulated Processor in the Classroom” during the undergraduate poster presentation. LaTeesha Reaves and Amy Hill did a fantastic job representing the University.
- We all took the opportunity to become acquainted with women from other universities at the southeastern region and attended valuable workshops held at the conference. Ms. Hill and Ms. Reaves also took the opportunity to network during the career fair.
- Dr. Chenchutta Jackson served as a judge for graduate student posters presented at the conference.
- Dr. Coleman, Manson Cordell, Dr. Elarde, Dr. Myers, Dr. Nicholson, and Dr. Lee attended the ACM Mid-Southeast Fall 2015 Conference, Nov 12-13, Gatlinburg, Tennessee.
- Dr. Elarde, Dr. Nicholson, and Dr. Lee served as Session Chairs and Judges at different undergraduate and graduate presentations sessions.
- Manson Cordell presented research findings titled "Building a Simulated Processor in the Classroom" by Mason Cordell, Joseph Cloutier, Amy Hill and Joseph Elarde, at the Undergraduate 4 Year Degree Presentations session.
- Dr. Nicholas Coleman presented research findings titled “Computer Science Education: A Systems Approach” at the Professional Presentations session.
- Dr. Joseph Elarde presented research findings titled “Processor Resource Utilization Measurements in Simultaneous Multi-Threading Configurations: Synthetic Benchmark Analysis” at the Professional Presentations session.
- Dr. Leong Lee presented research findings titled “Determining the Accuracy and Precision of Spatial Data through the Use of GPS-Enabled Mobile Devices” at the Professional Presentations session.
- Computer Science Education Week Celebration - 12/2/2015
- Dr. Bruce Myers interviewed with the APSU campus radio on 10/2/2015. Please click here to listen to the interview on YouTube...
- APSU Summer Research Symposium, September 18, 2015, 2:00pm-4:00pm, APSU Woodward Library, Room 232. Two computer science students Alexander Hornick and Benjamin Hardin presented research they completed over the course of the summer.
- New Information Assurance & Security Minor is offered in Fall 2015.
When will the courses be offered? Please click here to check out the news flash!
- Our department's PSM (Professional Science Master's) program produces first graduates, Summer 2015.
- Computer Science student Alexander D. Hornick did REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) at Iowa State University in Summer 2015. He participated in the Summer Program for Interdisciplinary Research and Education – Emerging Interface Technologies (SPIRE – EIT), and he was in the Detecting Threat team. Good job! Alex!
- Computer Science graduating student Arisha Majors receives Drane Award (a top APSU student award), Spring 2015
Five Northeast High School teachers of the Game Programming Academy, attended a 2 day CMCSS externship WordPress web development workshop, at the department of computer science, 5/27 & 5/28/2015. The workshop was organized by Dr. Leong Lee and Dr. Bruce Myers, supported by the APSU Office of Admissions, sponsored by the APSU Office of Academic Affairs.
- The ACM Student Chapter at APSU is excited to announce our New 2015-16 ACM Officers!!!
- ACM President: Dustin Marchak
- ACM Vice President: Megan Bartlett
- Treasurer: Alexander Hornick
- Web Master: Dominic Volavong
- Secretary: Doreen Lynch
- APSU computer science program recognized on national list. ComputerScienceOnline.org, a leading resource for online learning in computer science and related fields, recently released its Best Online Computer Science Degrees list for 2015, and the organization ranked Austin Peay State University as one of the top 50 programs in the nation. Check out details here (APSU news).
Interesting article referenced by ACM Career News from ITWorld:
Computer Science Students Are in Demand and They Know It (IT World, July 9, 2015)
The Best jobs of 2015 according to U.S. News and World Report rankings
#3 Software Developer
#7 Computer Systems Analyst
#8 Information Security Analyst
#11 Web Developer
Very good showing for computing !
The department is part of the College of Science and Mathematics. Click here for news about our College.
For those who may not have kept up with us, here is a list of our faculty and staff.
- Mr. Barry G. Bruster, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Nicholas A. Coleman, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Joseph V. Elarde, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Chenchutta D. Jackson, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Leong Lee, Associate Professor
- Dr. Jiang Li, Professor
- Dr. Bruce Myers, Professor and Chair
- Dr. John A. Nicholson, Associate Professor
- Mrs. Nancy A. Smithfield, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Yingbing Yu, Associate Professor
Dr. Jim Bateman, Professor Emeritus
- Dr. Jim Vandergriff, Professor Emeritus
- Mr. Calvin G. Bolander, Adjunct Faculty
- Dr. Gary L. Griffith, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Paul E. MacAfee, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Antonio (Tony) L. McCutcheon, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Stephen T. Paulk-McGinley, Adjunct Faculty
- Mrs. Betty Leimer, Administrative Assistant II
For APSU computer science graduates who may see this page, please email us and let us know your current email address.