Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
Welcome to the home page of the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology. If you are a prospective student, the links at the left will provide you with much of the information that you need. We welcome on-line, transfer, and second-degree students. If you need more information, please contact our office at 931-221-7840 or email Bruce Myers, the Chair of the Department.
Need help for programming assignments, software installation or computer science classes? Check out our programming tutoring service for Fall 2014.
APSU Career Services offers FREE Résumé Critiquing and Career Advice Service: 9/24, 10/29, 11/5, 11/12/2014. Location: MUC Lobby. Time: 10am-1:30pm
Attention new Computer Science majors (or Computer Science majors taking class in this department for the first time): Welcome and Information Event with PIZZA, 9/24/2014, Wednesday, 3:30pm, MMCS 244. Click here for details...
:: Epic in Madison, WI seeking Technologist / Software Developer / Project Manager / Software Tester :: , check out the details at Job Opportunities for CS Students page.
Congratulations / Conferences / Publications:
- Dr. Leong Lee, and Dr. Gregory S. Ridenour (Geosciences) had their research paper "Using Data Mining to Investigate Interaction between Channel Characteristics and Hydraulic Geometry Channel Types" accepted by the IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI), Orlando, Florida, Dec 9-12, 2014.
- Dr. Samuel N Jator (Math Dept. Chair), and Dr. Leong Lee published research paper "Implementing a seventh-order linear multistep method in a predictor-corrector mode or block mode: which is more efficient for the general second order initial value problem" in peer-reviewed SpringerPlus Journal, SpringerPlus 2014, 3:447.
- Dr. Leong Lee, Dr. Matthew Jones (Math), Dr. Gregory S. Ridenour (Geosciences), Mr. Maurice P. Testa, and Mr. Michael J. Wilson (GIS) had their research paper "Investigating and Comparing Spatial Accuracy and Precision of GPS-Enabled Devices in Middle Tennessee" accepted by the GRMSE 2014 Conference, Ypsilanti, Michigan, Oct 3-5, 2014.
- Congratulations to Kadeem J. Pardue, graduate of Spring 2014, for being accepted to the online Masters of Science in Computer Science program (with a specialization in Databases and Software Engineering) at the Georgia Institute of Technology's College of Computing.
- Congratulations to Dr. John Nicholson for receiving the 2014 Socrates Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Congratulations to Spring 2014 Computer Science Graduates Who Secure Jobs BEFORE Graduation ! :: Justin Carter :: Brian Rivers :: Clinton Person :: Kadeem Pardue :: Sean Bennett :: Steven (Scott) Dunning :: Anthony Coffey :: Jeffrey Gray ::
Congratulations to ACM officers for all the hard work they have done this year. ACM organization has been nominated for a Student Organization Award. These awardswill be presented during the annual Student Organization and Leader Awards program: April 16, 2014, 6pm, Morgan University Center Ballroom. Dr. Nicholas Coleman is the ACM student organization sponsor.
- Dr. John Nicholson attended the 2014 SIGCSE conference (March 2014) in Atlanta, GA where he presented two assignments the “Image Stacker” and “The Pesky Tourist” on the Nifty Assignments Panel.
- The Computer Science Dept had two students who were accepted to present at the 2014 National Conferences on Undergraduate Research (NCUR), University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, April 3-5, 2014. A total of 7 APSU students were accepted to present at the conference. Congratulations to...
- Student: Donald Buhl-Brown; Advisor: Dr. John Nicholson.
- Student: William Rich; Advisor: Dr. Jiang Li.
New Networking Concentration will be offered in Fall 2014
Please refer to the New B.S. Information Sheet for details.
The Best jobs of 2014 according to U.S. News and World Report rankings
#1 Software Developer
#2 Computer Systems Analyst
#9 Web Developer
#11 Information Security Analyst
#12 Database Administrator
Very good showing for computing !
Need Help for Programming Assignments?
Check out the Programming Tutoring Services page (under Opportunities/Resources).
- Congratulations! Graduates of Spring & Summer 2014
New Professional Science Master's Degree
The Department is proud to announce that a Professional Science Master's Degree with a concentration in Data Management and Analysis will be offered beginning in the Fall of 2013. Click here for information on this new program.
The department is part of the College of Science and Mathematics. Click here for news about our College.
For those who may not have kept up with us, here is a list of our faculty and staff.
- Dr. Nicholas Coleman, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Joseph Elarde, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Chenchutta Jackson, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Leong Lee, Associate Professor
- Dr. Jiang Li, Professor
- Dr. Bruce Myers, Professor and Chair
- Dr. John A. Nicholson, Associate Professor
- Ms. Nancy Smithfield, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Yingbing Yu, Associate Professor
Dr. Jim Bateman, Professor Emeritus
- Dr. Jim Vandergriff, Professor Emeritus
- Mr. Calvin Bolander, Adjunct Faculty
- Dr. Gary Griffith, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Paul E. MacAfee, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Tony McCutcheon, Adjunct Faculty
- Mr. Stephen T. Paulk-McGinley, Adjunct Faculty
- Ms. Betty Leimer, Administrative Assistant II
For APSU computer science graduates who may see this page, please email us and let us know your current email address.