Why Study Stage Management
Available on campus, the BFA in Theatre Arts Stage Management concentration prepares students for a wide range of managerial experiences with ample opportunities for practical stage management experience in plays, musicals, dance, and opera.
The Stage Management concentration is designed for students who want to pursue a career in the stage management field. If you have an interest in the inner workings of the theatrical process in all capacities, inkling performance, direction, and design, stage management is a great opportunity to be involved in every stage of the production.
APSU’s BFA concentration in Stage Management is the only such concentration in the state of Tennessee. This program allows students to experience and develop a broad range of managerial and leadership skills both in the classroom and in production settings, with a dedicated focus to the management aspect of entertainment production.
APSU’s BFA Stage Management concentration is taught by faculty with a wide range of theatrical credentials, including stage management in theatrical and festival environments, design, directing, and performance.
What Will I Learn
- Basic elements of theatrical production including scenic design/construction, costume design/construction, lighting design, sound design, acting and directing.
- Responsibilities of a Stage Manager at each stage of the project, including design and rehearsal process
- Production management skills in scheduling, blocking notation, and cue calling
- Industry standard ins health and safety, and students will obtain certifications in CPR, AED usage, and covid safety.
- Basics of performing arts unions, including Actors Equity Association (AEA), International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE), United Scenic Artists (USA), and Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers (SSDC).