Why Art Education
Teachers in the K-12 system are in high demand. Completion of this degree includes licensure to teach art in the state of Tennessee.
The ideal student is fond of children and also fond of school. The student should have a temperament of patience and maturity and an ability to complete tasks on time.
The Art Education coursework at APSU will inform students on how to teach the discipline of Art specifically rather than have students major and minor in Education and Art, and figure out how to bridge those disciplines. APSU houses the Center of Excellence for the Creative Arts which brings great speakers and exhibiting artists that students are able to meet and assist with installing exhibitions. APSU has a Community School for the Arts that provides opportunities for Art Education students to teach community classes before graduation.
- Jennifer Snyder—came to APSU with a decade of experience teaching k-12 before pursuing and completing her EdD.
What Will I Learn
- Students will learn how to build lesson plans that are age appropriate.
- Students will practice the discipline of teaching through education classes as well as student teaching.
- Students will learn the craftsmanship and techniques of making art
- Students will be introduced to the history of art to better understand how to interpret
and understand the meaning of visual works.
Sample Course Plan and General Education Requirements
Art Education Sample 4 Year Plan
Professional Licensure Disclosure
Students should be aware that licensure and certification requirements vary from state to state and are subject to change. Licensing agencies or boards also may have requirements in addition to an earned degree. APSU recommends that students who are not Tennessee residents or who plan to seek licensure or certification outside the state of Tennessee contact the appropriate licensing agency or board before they enroll in an academic program designed to lead to licensure or certification and discuss their plans with an advisor.
Please visit the Professional Licensure Disclosure webpage to review specific licensure information for your state and academic program.