William E & Sadako S. Newton Military Family Resource Center
NEW: Reduced tuition for ALL military-affiliated students
The Austin Peay State University William E. & Sadako S. Newton Military Family Resource Center – the state’s largest military student center – is open year-round. The 5,200-square-foot building at 426 College St., next to Johnny’s Big Burger, provides the University’s military-affiliated students (active-duty military, veterans, reservists, National Guard members, ROTC cadets, retirees and military families) with a one-stop shop for most of their social, financial and academic needs. The facility houses Austin Peay’s Veterans Upward Bound program, VetSuccess on Campus, a Career Services Military Advisor and a Student Success Military Affiliated Advisor. It also features a computer lab, a lounge area for watching television, eating and unwinding, tables for studying or eating and a self-serve coffee and tea bar. It is a one-stop shop, servicing APSU military-affiliated students.
We are available every week day that the school is open to assist students. Please come in and visit us!
Location and Hours
426 College St
Clarksville, TN 37040
Monday - Thursday: 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
****The center is open to all students, no military affiliation is required.****
The Newton Military Family Resource Center (NMFRC) offers programs throughout the academic year to address the unique challenges our Military-Affiliated student (MAS) population faces.
- A computer lab with online access, a printer, and CAC readers.
- A dining area to eat, study, or talk with your peers.
- A lounge to unwind and relax.
- Events include educational, informational, and family-oriented programming throughout the year.
- Programs throughout the academic year that address the unique challenges facing our student population.
- Student/Peer Coaching - staff provides guidance and advice on how to navigate college and transition from military to college life.
- Texts for Vets relies on student textbook donations to provide textbooks for fellow students, free of charge. (first-come, first-served program)
- Provide services to military-affiliated students (MAS) as they transition from military service/college into the civilian workforce.
- Services include resume writing, mock interviews, STRONG Interest Assessment, and job/internship search assistance.
- Provides assistance with federal applications and reviews the process of resume building and applying for a position within USAJOBS.gov web site.
Walter Lord, MG(RET.)
- Advises the university president and senior leadership team on military and Veteran issues
- Leads university’s outreach to the military and Veteran community
- Advocates for military-affiliated students (MAS) at the university’s senior leadership level
- Serves as an advisor to the APSU Institute for National Security and Military Studies
- Point of Contact for students utilizing TN Strong
- Educate and advise students on their military educational benefits, including but not limited to: Chapter 33 Post 9/11; TN Strong, Army Ignited, Chapter 1606 MGIB-SR; Chapter 35 DEA, Air Force Tuition Assistance.
- Advise and assist Military-affiliated Students (MAS) on degree/program changes and help understand required classes needed to stay on academic path for graduation.
- Work with Military-affiliated Students (MAS) who have received academic alerts to help get them back on track. Offer encouragement, motivation and inform them of university resources such as the learning center, the writing center, and other departments that can assist throughout their academic journey.
- To inspire confidence, explore educational options, and create individual success plans toward academic and career goals.
- To link eligible adult Veteran learners to resources that lead to higher-education enrollment and continuous quality of life.
- Guidance and support with VA education benefits (for veterans, service members, and eligible dependents) as well as vocational exploration and assistance in selecting a suitable career/major
- Assistance in VA-related issues/questions or concerns
- Coordination with school faculty and staff to provide Veteran specific service as well as help in locating community and other resources
THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO SERVED AND THOSE WHO SACRIFICED.