This Week at Austin Peay: Welcome, freshmen!
(Posted Aug. 19, 2019)
Austin Peay State University officials will welcome more than 1,000 freshmen to campus residence halls this week, and most the new students will arrive from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 22.
Freshman Move-in Day also launches the University’s freshman orientation weekend, which we like to call APEX, short for Austin Peay Experience. Other APEX highlights include:
- “I Survived Freshman Move-In” Family Dinner – 5-7 p.m. Thursday at the Memorial Health Building, aka the Red Barn.
- Freshman Convocation – Austin Peay’s president, Dr. Alisa White, welcomes freshmen to campus at noon Friday at the Dunn Center.
- Freshman Service Project – Freshmen meet at the Foy Fitness Center at 9:30 a.m. Saturday before heading to sites throughout the community to volunteer two hours before returning to the Foy for lunch. Sites include the Cumberland River Compact, Tennessee State Veterans Home, Lincoln Homes, Clarksville Housing Authority, Radical Mission and the native meadow on campus.
- Monocle Madness Carnival – 6 p.m. Saturday behind the library. An old-fashioned carnival 6 p.m. Saturday behind the library includes food, games and rides to welcome APSU students, faculty and staff to the start of another school year.
- Sixth Annual Gov Run – Participants are caked in color during this 3 p.m. color run Sunday, Aug. 25, at the intramural field on campus. The run includes crowds of cheering students and an excess of color – sprays of red and yellow water and clouds of orange and green powder.
- “T-REX at APEX” Dive-in Movie – A showing of “Jurassic Park” wraps up APEX at 8 p.m. Sunday at the Foy Fitness Center. In this case, T-REX also stands for the Transfer Experience, and the event is geared toward transfer students.
The first day of the fall semester is Monday, Aug. 26! Relax at APEX before the start of classes.
For the complete list of APEX events, visit www.apsu.edu/student-life/apexwelcomeback/apex-freshman-orientation-schedule.php.
News FeedView All News
The event provided educational leaders - including several college and community college presidents - with resources and training for supporting military-affiliated students on their campuses.Read More
A trebuchet is a type of catapult that uses a swinging arm to throw a projectile. The Austin Peay trebuchet - which measures about 12 feet tall and 10 feet wide - uses a counterweight to swing the arm.Read More
The partnership, which began Oct. 1, grants Affinity the right to manage the day-to-day aspects of the licensing program for apparel and other products.Read More