Safety Protocols for Commencement
On May 4-7, Austin Peay State University will host seven commencement ceremonies to
honor the University’s Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 graduates. The COVID-19 pandemic
caused Austin Peay officials to re-examine how the University can follow national
and local health standards while also recognizing the accomplishments of its students.
The answer was to host more events with fewer people.
While we’re excited to resume this important tradition, it’s vital that all participants
and visitors follow the COVID-19 safety protocols we’ve developed for these ceremonies.
Those guidelines include:
- Limiting participation to no more than 170 graduates per ceremony so they can be socially
distanced on the Dunn Center floor.
- Requiring all graduates, guests (3 years and older) and University personnel to
wear a face mask while they are inside the Dunn Center. Masks must be worn properly,
covering the nose and the mouth. A face shield may be worn in addition to a face mask,
but not as a replacement for a face mask.
- Limiting the number of guests to ensure social distancing. Each graduate will be
provided with four reserved seating tickets for guests. University faculty and staff
who wish to attend one or more of the ceremonies may sign up to serve as event staff
for the ceremonies they wish to attend.
- Requiring a ticket for every guest entering the Dunn Center, regardless of age.
- Shortening the ceremonies to limit the time indoors. All graduates, however, will
be recognized by name as they walk across the stage.