The Honors Program at Austin Peay State University
Location: Honors Commons | Address: P.O. Box 4476, Clarksville, TN 37040 | Telephone: 931.221.6398 | Director: Dr. Matthew Kenney | Internet: www.apsu.edu/honors
What is the Honors Program at Austin Peay State University?
The Honors Program is designed to challenge students and provide opportunities for creative exploration and intellectual development. The program requires motivated students to fulfill 30 Honors credit hours, both in the general education core and in upper-division courses in their majors.
What qualifications do I need to apply to the Honors Program?
Eligible applicants must have a minimum ACT composite score of 26 and a high school cumulative grade point average (unweighted) of 3.50. High-achieving students who transfer to Austin Peay can also apply to the Honors Program, but must first contact the Honors Program director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What benefits will I receive from being in the Honors Program?
- The principal benefits derive from a more challenging and rigorous curriculum. Students in Honors-approved courses have close interaction with their instructors and fellow students. Most departments at Austin Peay have identified specific courses and activities required of Honors Program students in their last two years of study.
- As an Honors student, you may apply for residence at Harvill Hall, where you will live in an environment with other high-achieving students.
- Honors Program students are provided with information and support to pursue high-impact opportunities in undergraduate research, study abroad, internships, and service learning.
- Honors Program students have access to the Honors Commons using their Austin Peay student identification card. This open, welcoming space includes computers, a printer, study areas, a classroom, an Honors Library, and areas for students to meet and socialize.
- Some Honors Program scholarships are available for study-abroad programs and internship opportunities.
What is Required of Honors Program Students?
Students admitted into the Honors Program must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25. They are also required to complete at least one three-credit hour Honors experience each semester. These experiences are available in the following areas: Honors sections of individual courses, study-abroad courses, service-learning courses, research-intensive courses, and credit-bearing internships.