Providing support and outreach to Veteran students
In August of 2013, the Department of Veterans Affairs and Austin Peay State University acknowledged that the successful readjustment of Veterans into college and the civilian workforce is a critical and mutual responsibility. As a result, they signed a Memorandum of Understanding to address the needs of Veterans, Military and Family Members and to assist them in achieving their educational and employment goals. This partnership allowed the VA to place an experienced Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor on campus full-time. The VetSuccess on Campus Counselor provides the support needed to improve the chances for success in academics, as well as long-term career goals.
VetSuccess On Campus at APSU is a comprehensive program offering adjustment counseling, support services, career counseling, peer to peer mentoring and tutoring, employment assistance, and guidance on the full range of VA benefits and health services available to you. In a collaborative and cooperative effort, APSU and VA work together to develop highly innovative and targeted transitional programs, services and activities for Veterans, Military and Family Members to assist with their transition to college life and to maximize their opportunities for success, both educationally and occupationally.
The VetSuccess Program Provides:
- Guidance and support with education benefits (for veterans, service members, and eligible dependents)
- Vocational exploration and assistance in selecting a suitable career/major
- Assistance in applying for healthcare benefits
- Referrals for medical and mental health
- Help to access, understand, and apply for VA benefits
- Referrals for readjustment counseling services for eligible Veterans and their families
- Coordination with school faculty/staff to provide Veteran specific service
- Job placement assistance and coordination with Local Veterans’ Employment Representatives
- Assistance in locating community and other resources