HOPE Lottery Scholarship
Keep your scholarship!
- FAFSA: Completing the FAFSA is the only way to apply and must be submitted each year. Students can access the application at www.fafsa.gov/.
- Sept. 1: Final deadline to submit the FASFA (recommended as early as possible after Oct. 1)
- Oct. 1- 2017-18: FAFSA opens at www.fafsa.gov.
- Maintain the enrollment status for which you were awarded. For example, if awarded for full time, you must maintain full-time enrollment.
- If your enrollment status changes, you may permanently lose your lottery scholarship. You may be able to maintain the number of credit hours needed to keep the lottery scholarship by enrolling in an additional class at the Austin Peay Center at Fort Campbell.
- Strict appeal process — most cannot be appealed.
- Seek tutoring assistance immediately from the Academic Support Center if you are struggling academically.
- Students are responsible for knowing and understanding criteria for retaining the scholarship(s).
- Go to www.apsu.edu/financialaid for additional information.
HOPE Lottery Scholarship Renewal Criteria
Eligibility will be reviewed by the institution at the end of the semester in which the student has attempted a total of 24, 48, 72, 96 and any subsequent multiples of 24 semester hours thereafter. The student:
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 after 24 and 48 attempted semester hours; and
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 after 72, 96 and any subsequent multiples of 24 attempted semester hours thereafter; or
- Must have between a 2.75–2.99 cumulative GPA after 72, 96 and any subsequent multiples of 24 attempted semester hours thereafter and have a semester GPA of at least a 3.0 in the semester in which the student attempted 72, 96 and any subsequent multiples of 24 attempted semester hours thereafter. (The student will be reviewed on a semester-by-semester basis and must maintain full-time enrollment.)
- Must be continuously enrolled at an eligible postsecondary institution in the fall and spring semesters and maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- If a student ceases to be academically eligible for the HOPE Lottery Scholarship, the student may regain the award one time only. The award may be reestablished once the student meets any of the above criteria and continues to meet non-academic requirements.
Manage Your Debt
Student loans are a fact of life for many students who cannot meet the cost of school without them. Even so, it is important to make intentional and wise decisions. For example, only borrow what you need.
You will want to take some time to determine the difference between what you need and what you want, as student loans must be paid back. You have the option of accepting a partial amount for your student loans. You do not have to take out the maximum allowable. An excellent resource for keeping a tab on your loan balance is www.studentaid.gov. Using the repayment calculator will give you an idea of your payments after graduation.