AN INTRODUCTION TO RULES, REGULATIONS AND POLICIES
This section of the APSU Student Handbook and Calendar includes important information about official campus rules, regulations, student rights, policies and guidelines that impact the academic and personal life of all APSU students. This listing may NOT include some regulations or policies that are unique to specific departments, programs, student organizations or student groups. However, this collection represents an attempt to provide students with a reference to these documents in one central location.
It is the responsibility of ALL students to read and become familiar with the expectations that Austin Peay State University has for every student. Failure to abide by these regulations and policies may result in formal disciplinary actions, as outlined in the “Code of Student Conduct.”
Austin Peay State University Student and Student Organization Disciplinary Policies
Code of Student Conduct
Part I: Institutional Policy Statement
- APSU students are citizens of the state, local and national governments or are citizens of other countries, and of the academic community, and are, therefore, expected to conduct themselves as law-abiding members of each community at all times. Admission to the University carries with it special privileges and imposes special responsibilities apart from those rights and duties enjoyed by non-students. In recognition of the special relationship that exists between the institution and the academic community which it seeks to serve, the Board of Trustees has authorized the president of the University to take such action as may be necessary to maintain campus conditions and preserve the integrity of the institution and its educational environment.
- Pursuant to this authority and in fulfillment of its duties to provide a secure and stimulating atmosphere in which individual and academic pursuits may flourish, the Board of Trustees has developed the following regulations, intended to govern student conduct on the Austin Peay State University campus. The University under the jurisdiction of the Board of Trustees is directed to implement policies subject to, and consistent with, these regulations. In addition, students are subject to all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. If a student’s violation of such laws or ordinances also adversely affects the institution’s pursuit of its educational objectives, the institution may enforce its own regulations regardless of any proceedings instituted by other authorities. Conversely, violation of any section of these Regulations may subject a student to disciplinary measures by the institution whether or not such conduct simultaneously violates state, local or national laws.
- For the purpose of these regulations, a “student” shall mean any person who is admitted and/or registered for study at Austin Peay State University institution for any academic period. This shall include any period of time following admission and/or registration, but preceding the start of classes for any academic period. It will also include any period which follows the end of an academic period through the last day for registration for the succeeding academic period, and during any period while the student is under suspension from the institution. Finally, “student” shall also include any person subject to a period of suspension or removal from campus as a sanction which results from a finding of a violation of the regulations governing student conduct. Students are responsible for compliance with the Policies on Student Conduct and with similar institutional policies at all times.
- Disciplinary action may be taken against a student for violation of the regulations which occur on institutionally owned, leased or otherwise controlled property, while participating in international or distance learning programs, and off campus, when the conduct impairs, interferes with, or obstructs any institutional activity or the mission, processes, and functions of the institution. Institutions may enforce their own regulations regardless of the status or outcome of any external proceedings instituted in any other forum, including any civil or criminal proceeding.
- These regulations, and related material incorporated herein by reference, are applicable to student organizations as well as individual students. Student organizations are subject to discipline for the conduct and actions of individual members of the organization while acting in their capacity as members of, or while attending or participating in any activity of, the organization.
- Confidentiality of Discipline Process. Subject to the exceptions provided pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), a student’s disciplinary files are considered educational records and are confidential within the meaning of those Acts.