Borrowers who are employed full-time in the following areas may qualify for cancellation of their Perkins Loan. They must complete the Request for Cancellation form and include a statement on employer letterhead with full job description/job duties. There are a few additional requirements that have to be met but once the university determines eligibility for cancellation, a percentage of your Perkins loan will be canceled each year until the loan has been paid in full.
- Full-time teacher of:
- Elementary/Secondary low-income school
- Special Education for infants/toddlers/youth with disabilities - classroom must be 100% Special Education.
- Mathematics, Science, Foreign Language
- Head Start
- Other Service Cancellations:
- Criminal Law Enforcement/Corrections Officer
- Nurse/Medical Technician
- Child/Family Services to high-risk children from low-income communities
- Early Intervention Services (ages 0-3)
- Peace Corps/Volunteer Services
- Military Service (Combat for at least one year in an area of hostility/imminent danger)
- Surviving spouse of eligible public servant - 9/11 attacks.
- Attorney employed in a defender organization
- Librarian serving Title I School (Master's degree required)
- Speech Pathologist in Title I School (Master's degree in Speech Pathology required)