Go back


I need a tutor for my class. How do I get a tutor?

Student Support Services has tutors available for participants in the program. Students must apply and be admitted into the program to be eligible for these free tutoring services. Tutors are available for remedial, developmental, and general education core courses. To receive tutoring, participants must fill out a tutorial request form. When funds are available and qualified tutors are available, participants are assigned a tutor on a first-come, first-served basis. Once the tutor coordinator evaluates the request and can assign an appropriate tutor, the participant will meet the tutor in the SSS Computer Lab in EL 332.

If you are interested in applying for the program in order to be eligible for free tutoring and other SSS activities, please fill out a program application form available in Ellington 337 or online.

Does Student Support Services have money available for scholarships or financial assistance?

SSS is a federally funded TRiO program designed to provide free services to participants in the program. These services include tutoring, academic counseling, computer lab usage, and cultural activities. Program staff provide assistance when possible with the financial aid process and encourage participants to meet with their financial aid counselor in the Student Financial Aid Office to avoid confusion and missed deadlines for grant and scholarship opportunities. From 2015-2020, SSS at APSU has been allocated an additional $7,000 each year to provide supplemental grant aid. Participants receiving this grant aid must meet the following: active SSS participant who is receiving PELL grant, classified as FR or SO, GPA 2.50 with highest GPA awarded first, good academic standing and satisfactory progress according to university standards, and early submission of FAFSA when appropriate.

What services and activities does Student Support Services provide?

SSS provides the following services and activities to its participants: academic coaching, pre-advisement, tutoring, assistance with various offices and departments on campus, academic and cultural activities and workshops, technology and writing assistance, and the opportunity to build social ties and network. SSS is open M - F from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Later appointments can be made. SSS is closed when the university closes for snow and designated university holidays.

Are all students eligible for Student Support Services?

SSS is a federally funded TRiO program established to assist low-income and first-generation college students to connect with the various services available to students on campus. To participate in the program, each student must first complete an application and provide a copy of the family's federal income tax return. If no income tax return is filed, then other appropriate income information must be provided. Eligibility for the program is based on these items and an assessment of the student's ability to benefit from services. Students will be notified about their status–enrollment to the program is limited to 180 participants. Students will be required to sign a contract of participation and complete a needs assessment with the academic counselor or designee. Since enrollment is limited to 180 students, an applicant may be placed on a waiting list to ensure maximum participation.

What does first-generation mean?

First-generation means that neither parent has a four-year college degree. First-generation status is one of the eligibility requirements for SSS. First-generation college students are more likely to have not been exposed to information about college and how the processes of an academic environment function. SSS staff can assist with questions and concerns of the first-generation college student.

How is low-income determined?

Low-income is based on guidelines published by the U.S. Department of Education. Students are required to submit one of the following income documents so that SSS staff can document this eligibility requirement: Federal Income Tax Return, SS Benefits, AFDC/ADC documentation from Human Services, Unemployment Benefits Statement, or other income document.

Where can I apply for Student Support Services?

Application forms are available in Ellington 337 or you can download the online application form. You are invited to call 931-221-6142 if you have any questions or would like to make an appointment to discuss SSS and how we can help you.