Why Study Survey of Scientific Thought
This concentration provides students the opportunity to choose courses from numerous fields that apply to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. STEM focuses on hands-on learning with real-world applications. It may serve as an appropriate stepping-stone for admission into graduate school.
This program is designed for those who have completed an associate’s degree and anyone with earned college credits and has not completed another bachelor’s degree. It is a non-licensure degree option that allows flexibility for students maintaining family, military, and employment obligations and is broad-based to allow for a more individualized approach to degree completion
Students have the ability to select the courses that they want to take as part of their major from a range of courses in the discipline. Students are able to complete the concentration completely online and they will write a research paper in the major Capstone course.
Courses in this concentration are taught by faculty from a variety of STEM related majors that Austin Peay offers.
What Will I Learn
- Think Critically through inquiry, analysis, and comprehensive exploration of issues, ideas, artifacts, and events before accepting or formulating an opinion or conclusion.
- Research by recognizing when there is a need for information and be able to identify, locate, evaluate, and effectively and responsibly use and share that information for the problem at hand.
- Integrate Learning by understanding that knowledge and skills build across the curriculum and co-curriculum, from making simple connections among ideas and experiences to synthesizing and transferring learning to new, complex situations within and beyond the campus.
- Creatively Solve Problems through designing, evaluating and implementing a strategy to answer an open-ended question or achieve a desired goal.
- Communicate in writing, by developing and expressing ideas in the professional writing style of their concentration, using appropriate technologies, and in speech, by preparing and delivering purposeful oral presentations designed to increase knowledge, to foster understanding, or to promote change in the listeners’ attitudes, values, beliefs, or behaviors.
- Ready to Enter the Workforce by effectively framing their skills, knowledge, and experience gained through their concentration in a professional manner appropriate to their career path(s).