Quality Matters (QM) Course Review Process
The Department of Distance Education is committed to the quality of online and hybrid courses at Austin Peay State University (APSU) and aims to achieve the following targets:
- Identify and fund training for online/hybrid instructors to become knowledgeable of basic course design principles.
- Facilitate reviews and continuous improvement of online and hybrid courses to ensure alignment with QM standards.
To work towards these targets, DE is seeking faculty to participate in the QM Course Review Process. Faculty members who complete the course review process will receive compensation, professional development, and courses will obtain official QM certification.
Who Can Apply
Full-time and adjunct faculty teaching online and/or hybrid courses at APSU. All faculty will require approval from their department chair before being considered for admission into the course review program.
Course Selection Criteria
To be eligible for the course review process, you must submit an online application form to the DE with permission from your department chair. The course selection criteria checklist is as follows:
- Fully developed online or hybrid course (courses that have not been developed are ineligible for selection).
- Taught at least twice in the past 2 years and no major changes to the course planned in the next 3 years (this includes new textbook adoption).
- Not reviewed by DE or QM in the last 3 years.
QM Internal Course Review Process
- Step 1: Complete QM Workshop(s)
- Workshop 1: APPQMR (opens new window) required for option 1 track and 2 tracks
- Workshop 2: PRC (opens new window) required for option 2 track
- Please email email@example.com with any questions regarding the workshops.
- Step 2: Submit online application with DE
- Step 3: Meet with QM coordinator or DE representative
- Step 4: Complete course map (template will be provided)
- Step 5: Meet with QM coordinator or DE representative for feedback on course map
- Step 6: Complete self-review of course (meeting at least 85% of the QM standards and all 23 essential standards)
- Step 7: Course is submitted for official QM review
- Step 8: Compensation to the instructor will be processed once course receives official QM certification.
- DE reserves the right to refuse a course review application and/or close the application process at any time.
- Only fully developed online or hybrid courses will be considered for the course review process.
- DE will pay for QM Training Workshops only once. If the instructor does not complete or pass they will have to retake it at their own cost.
- Non-participation after selection will result in cancellation of the course review. Faculty-QM Coordinator meetings will be used to determine participation in the process and assist faculty in setting and meeting deadlines.
- Compensation will only be given to instructors whose courses become QM certified.
Submit Your Course Review Application
Please complete the QM Course Review Application to begin the process.