APSU Summer Graduate Studies in Music
Through our summer studies program, you can
- Earn a Master of Music with a concentration in music education in just three summers!
- Complete the majority of the courses needed for a Master of Music with a concentration in music performance.
Master of Music, music education concentration (three-summer program)
Ideal for music educators, our summer graduate studies program will allow you to
- Complete all of your on-ground coursework over the course of three summers.
- Attend classes on campus for just five weeks each summer. (Online options are also available for Education and Psychology courses).
Scroll down for coursework offered during the three-summer rotation.
Master of Music, music performance concentration
If you wish to earn a Master of Music with a concentration in music performance, you can complete much of your coursework through our summer studies program. Call (931) 221-7818 to discuss your coursework needs.
Our campus is located 45 minutes northwest of Nashville, just off Interstate 24, in Clarksville, Tenn. A variety of hotels, including extended-stay suites, is located minutes from campus.
You may enroll in as many as 12 credit-hours each summer.
You must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5 for regular admission. At the discretion of the music department and dean of the College of Graduate Studies, conditional admission may be granted for students who do not meet this GPA requirement.
APSU College of Graduate Studies
Clarksville, TN 37044
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Original transcripts from your undergraduate institution(s). Your institution(s) must send original transcripts directly to the College of Graduate Studies.
- Military documents, if applicable.
- Please contact Dr. Ann Silverberg, music department graduate coordinator, at (931) 221-7644 (or email email@example.com) to arrange an audition. Audition requirements are the following:
- If you are pursuing the music education concentration, you must do one of the following:
- an on-site demonstration of your teaching for APSU music faculty (or provide a video of yourself teaching/conducting in your school setting).
- audition on your primary instrument (again, video auditions are acceptable).
- If you are pursuing the performance concentration, an audition on your primary instrument is required.
Master of Music (M.Mu.) Summer Coursework
If you are already a teacher with a valid teaching license and wish to pursue an M.Mu. with a concentration in music education, you can complete the degree over the course of three 5-week summer residencies. Other desired course options offered by the Music, Education, and Psychology departments may be completed during the summer residencies or online (at another time of year).
If you wish to earn an M.Mu. with a concentration in music performance, please contact Dr. Ann Silverberg at (931) 221-7644 to discuss the courses you should consider.
Note: Students interested in performance concentration will not be able to complete all degree requirements during summer months.
All classes are three credit-hours.
Music 5050 - Seminar in Music Education
Music 5810 - Orchestration
Music 5060 - Music Analysis
Music 5390 - Choral Literature
Music 5000 - Research in Music
Music 5260 - Materials and Techniques for Instrumental Instruction
Music 5340 - Music from 1750 to 1900
Music 5380 - Choral Techniques
Music 5270 - Vocal Pedagogy
Music 5550 - Music for the Band
Music 5160 - Technology in the Music Classroom
Music 5800 - Advanced Conducting