Advising Information for Music Majors
This page will help you keep track of the required courses and course sequences for your music degree concentration. We encourage all music majors to use these documents frequently, and consult with your advisor each semester to ensure that you complete your degree on time.
Each semester, before you go to your advising appointment, it is a good idea to glance at the Music Student Handbook to see if there are items you should be thinking about or discuss with your major teacher. Music Major Handbook
- Contact your advisor to set-up an advising session during the appropriate times each semester.
- Before you meet with your advisor, review the semester plans for your concentration to determine the courses you need to take.
- Preview the upcoming schedule of classes to create a tentative schedule, including course name, number, and section for each ensemble and course you plan to take.
- Bring your tentative schedule with you to your advising session. Your advisor may make recommendations or suggest changes.
- After your advising session, your advisor will clear you to register on OneStop. You may then log-on to register at the appropriate time.
Program Sheets inventory the courses that are required of each music concentration.
Semester Plans list the required courses in a recommended sequence for each concentration and specialization.
Degree Check-lists: Students are encouraged to print a copy of the appropriate degree check-list to track completion of courses, juries, and other requirements of your degree program. Students should also compare personal records with the University's official degree evaluation each semester to ensure timely completion of the degree.
Additional Advising Information
Use this weekly planner to help choose the correct courses and plan your semester.
Some music courses are only offered on a limited basis. Consult the list of Rotating Music Courses to ensure you enroll in the appropriate courses when they are offered.
Music Education Majors should consult the Music Education Student Handbook (M.E.S.H.) for additional advising information.
All students should consult the APSU General Education Core to ensure adequate progress towards degree completion.
If you need help registering on OneStop, visit How to register through AP OneStop.
For other advising questions, visit FAQs regarding advising for music majors or contact your advisor.
Collegiate NAfME Praxis Study Session Outline