Teaching English to Speakers of Other Language (TESOL) concentration
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program with a concentration in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at Austin Peay State University’s College of Education is an interdisciplinary program, and is designed to produce graduates who possess a high level of knowledge of contemporary theories, pedagogies, and research in TESOL curriculum and instruction.
Program graduates will:
- know, understand, and use the major theories and research related to the structure and acquisition of language.
- know, understand, and use major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the nature and role of culture and cultural groups to construct supportive learning environments for ELL students.
- know, understand, and use research-based practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing standards- based ELL instruction.
- demonstrate an understanding of issues and concepts of assessments and use standardsbased
procedures with ELL students.
- have the skills to work collaboratively with school staff and the community to improve the learning environment, provide support, and advocate for ELL students and their families.