Academic Advising Certificate
The Department of Psychological Science and Counseling offers the online graduate certificate in Academic Advising. The certificate is offered exclusively online and admits for all terms on the Clarksville campus.
This online program is designed for professionals who have already earned a Bachelor's degree and would like to earn a graduate credential while building skills in academic advising for the college population. The certificate program is completed in 15-hour graduate hours.
Why complete a certificate in Academic Advising?
Upon completion of the Academic Advising Certificate, students will be able to:
- Comprehend the importance of the information component of academic advising.
- Appreciate the importance of effective communication skills.
- Outline a strategy for approaching and organizing an advising session.
- Describe the cognitive, social, and emotional issues of development for individuals ages 18-29; particularly at is impacts family, peer, and school contexts.
- Identify factors impacting students’ resistance to career planning and strategies to overcome it.
- Recognize how factors such as sleep and exercise impact memory and attention and simply explain strategies to use this knowledge to improve learning.
- Understand diverse populations and how issues of race, gender, class, lifestyle and ethnicity affects individuals and groups.
To learn more about this program, contact our Graduate Coordinator:
Dr. Nanci Woods, Professor for Psychological Science and Counseling