Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership
The Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree in Educational Leadership at Austin Peay State University (APSU) focuses on providing skills to a variety of leaders in public and private education at both the K-12 and higher education levels.
The goals of the Ed.D. program are to enhance the knowledge and competencies of leaders to create and study environments that promote lifelong learning for people of diverse backgrounds and experiences. The program is designed to enhance intellectual understanding of leadership theory and policy, deepen leadership capacity, and position leaders for elevated organizational responsibility.
The objectives of the Ed.D. are to prepare leaders who:
- are inquiring, reflective practitioners;
- are competent in identifying and solving complex problems;
- understand the multitude of leadership and organizational theories and techniques related to their professional settings;
- value, encourage, and facilitate the professional development of self and others in their organization;
- demonstrate effective communication skills in both school and non-school setting;
- value, understand, and support diversity in their organizations;
- make contributions to the profession;
- make data-driven decisions; and
- facilitate group processes to resolve conflict.
* Students also have the option of earning a Tennessee Instructional Leader License in addition to the Ed.D.
The Ed.D. program length is 60 semester credit hours beyond a master's degree. Program content consists of the following:
- Theories of Leadership
- Multicultural Leadership
- Multiple Perspectives on Learning and Teaching
- Team Building and Group Dynamics
- Organizational Development
- Strategic Planning and Decision Making
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Contemporary Approaches to Educational Problems
- Social, Political, and Legal Issues
- Applied Statistics for Social Sciences I & II
- Qualitative Research
- Research Design
- Dissertation I, II, & III
- Choose three courses within the K-12 Leadership, Higher Education Administration, or Nurse Educator concentration offerings