Organization Dimension Committee
“Foundations Institutions create organizational structures and policies that provide a comprehensive, integrated, and coordinated approach to the first year. These structures and policies provide oversight and alignment of all first-year efforts. A coherent first-year experience is realized and maintained through effective partnerships among academic affairs, student affairs, and other administrative units and is enhanced by ongoing faculty and staff development activities and appropriate budgetary arrangements.”
The Austin Peay State University Organization Dimension Committee has produced the following executive summary as part of the university self-study process for the Foundations of Excellence project.
In recent years, APSU serves an increasingly more traditional student body in terms of age and ACT scores. However, given the immediate service area, APSU tends to support the educational needs of people who are considered underprepared and/or served populations. The current administrative oversight for 1st year student success is spread across the University in areas with little communication and/or collaboration and, more problematic, very little, if any, trackable/actionable data to impart systemic change. The Organization Dimension (DO) group recommends the following organizational changes to improve 1st year student success.
- Consider appointing a top person in charge of 1st year student success within Academic Affairs; probably either an assistant or associate provost
- Consider expanding 1st year to 1st and 2nd year student success
- Consider hiring Professional Advisors to maintain student guidance consistency and mitigate students failing through the cracks during degree plan changes (Professional Advising Services)
- Consider codifying the role(s) of Faculty Advisors
- Consider moving the Academic Alert to report to the Professional Advising Services
- Consider moving PASS to Student Support Services
- Consider supporting a physical Student Success Center
- Consider using a hierarchy tree akin to what is shown herein
The Austin Peay State University Organization Dimension Committee has produced the following report as part of the university self-study process for the Foundations of Excellence project. You can find a full copy of the report here.
- Chad Brooks (Chair)
- Allen Barger
- Mercy Cannon
- Amy Corlew
- Victor Felts
- Gina Grogan
- Nicole Knickmeyer
- Bill Persinger
- Donna Price
- Will Roberts
- Hassan Said
- Catherine Winn
If you need further information or have questions, comments, feedback, or suggestions, please use the comment section of the website.