COMPASS Assessment -- Computer-Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support Services
Please read ALL test information below before registering online or by phone. Thank you.
Main Campus Test Site: Ellington Building, Room 202 - Drane Street
Fort Campbell Test Site: APSU Building (next to the Army Ed Center), Room 102 - Bastogne Avenue
COMPASS is a computerized assessment that provides important information about individual skills and preparation for college-level courses. It is an untimed, adaptive computer-based test that measures skills in reading, writing, and mathematics. On the reading test, the student will read one or more passages, and then answer questions about the passages. On the writing test, the student will identify and correct errors in grammar, punctuation, usage and style in one or more essays. On the mathematics test, the student will solve problems that measure algebra skills. The topics included on this test are elementary algebra, intermediate algebra and coordinate geometry. Sample questions are available at the following website: http://www.act.org/compass/student.
For information regarding FREE COMPASS Preparation Workshops, contact Charli Beth Hill, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or visit www.apsu.edu/KEEP.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the Testing Center at (931)221-6269 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those required to complete the COMPASS Assessment:
- Prospective students 21 and older who are applying to Austin Peay who cannot provide ACT/SAT scores taken within three years of the first day of their first term of enrollment must complete the entire COMPASS assessment before being admitted.
- International students without ACT/SAT scores must complete the entire COMPASS assessment.
- Transfer students 21 and older who have earned fewer than 12 hours of transferable college credit from a regionally accredited college or university and who cannot provide ACT/SAT scores taken within three years of the first day of the first term of enrollment at APSU must complete the entire COMPASS assessment.
- Transfer students with 12 or more hours who are unable to document reading proficiency and transferable college-level English and mathematics courses from a regionally accredited college or university must complete appropriate COMPASS assessments.
Please pay close attention to the following important information:
- Only students who have submitted an application to the APSU Office of Admissions will be allowed to take the COMPASS assessment.
- You must bring a photo I.D. and APSU I.D. number in order to test. No one will be admitted to the testing lab without the above identification, such as a driver’s license, military I.D. card or school I.D. card.
- An on-screen calculator is available for use during the mathematics test, but you may bring your own calculator, provided it is not a TI-89 or TI-92 graphing calculator or a cell phone calculator.
- Allow approximately two hours to complete the entire assessment.
- Seating availability is limited. An appointment is required.
- COMPASS scores are used for placement in English and mathematics and to document reading proficiency. Admitted students whose scores document insufficient preparation for college-level courses will enroll in enhanced (E) sections of English, mathematics and/or history.
- COMPASS scores are valid for five years at Austin Peay.
Students required to take COMPASS for admission to the University will not be charged a testing fee the first time they test for admissions purposes if they test on Clarksville Main Campus or Fort Campbell Campus. Students eligible to take a COMPASS retest or ACT challenge will be charged a $10 fee at the time of their scheduled appointment.
Students who would like to take the COMPASS assessment for a school or institution other than Austin Peay are required to pay a $20 fee at the time of their scheduled appointment. To schedule an appointment to test for another school or institution, please call the Testing Center at (931) 221-6269. Please inform Testing Center staff you would like to test for another school or institution.
COMPASS Retest / ACT Challenge
Some students may be eligible to take a COMPASS retest or ACT challenge. Please contact the Testing Center at (931) 221-6269 to submit a request. See Fee Information above.
Test Dates / Times
Please click on the Test Schedule link at the bottom of this page to view the current schedule of test dates and times. Please Note: Seating availability is limited, so examinees should schedule in advance.
Evening COMPASS Testing on Main Campus: Once a month (with the exception of September), the Testing Center will administer an evening session of the COMPASS assessment at the Main Campus Testing Center. Evening sessions will start promptly at 5:30 pm and end by 8:00 pm. Evening sessions will only be held on the evening dates listed on the Testing Schedule. To access the Ellington Building, examinees must enter through the front center door that faces Drane Street. The doors to the Ellington Building will lock after normal business hours, so it is critical that examinees arrive on time. If an examinee is late and the doors are locked, the examinee must reschedule. Due to Business Office hours, fee-based tests, including ACT challenges and COMPASS retests, cannot be administered during evening sessions. To schedule an appointment for an evening session, examinees may sign up online by clicking the registration link at the top of this screen, by telephone at (931) 221-6269, or in person at the Ellington Building, Room 202.
During peak times on Main Campus, parking availability in the area around the Ellington Building can be limited. Visitors are required by campus police to have parking passes. To request a parking pass, please contact the Testing Center by e-mail at email@example.com or call (931) 221-6269 and one can be e-mailed to you in advance. If you are unfamiliar with campus, please click on the following link to access a Campus Map.
Fort Campbell Visitor Passes
Visitor passes must be obtained from the Fort Campbell Vistor Center located just outside Gate 4 off Fort Campbell Boulevard. Please make sure you have all appropriate documentation with you that is required to obtain a pass: a valid driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.
Please dress in layers so that you can adjust to any room temperature.
Food and drink are not allowed in the Testing Center.
Visitors are not permitted in the testing room while testing is in progress.
Children are not allowed in the testing room at any time.